Help Needed Rear pinion seal torque setting??

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever do one? I need to change one on my dad's 01 Ex. The problem is I can find a torque wrench that goes to 400 ft/lbs. I've got a IR 231 model A impact that goes to 450 ft/lbs at max, but I can't find any info on the impact or what the torque is rated on the other settings. Any good suggestions?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i have not done one, BUT had mine done by ford and 2 failed attempts by catco....

iirc: setting the 'preload' is an obstacle and perhaps this is the obstacle to which you are referring....:doh::sorry

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I guess I'm actually speaking about the pre-load. I just got back into town and haven't been able to do any homework on fixing it and I'm leaving early tomorrow and won't be back until close to midnight on Saturday. Can't afford to take it anywhere so I need to know how to fix it in the drive. Thanks.

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
Pinion nut torque, and preload are determined by a crush sleeve, or pinion load (front to rear) at the (pinion) bearings. If you're not pulling the ring (differential) out, you can't use nut torque or preload as a guide. You really need to feel the previous load on the yoke as it revolves, and keep that as a minimum. The trick is to "sneak up on it" before you put too much preload on the bearings. I usually (simply) mark the pinion threads to the nut B4 taking the nut off. Then after your new pinion seal is in, you tighten the nut up to that, and feel preload/play. There should be slight drag, with no binding. If you pass that point, you need to reset the pinion or replace the crush sleeve (R&R pinion gear).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58