Question Rear Shocks

Rusty74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Will the stock rear shocks have enough travel with additional 2" lift? (rear axle) I have a leveling kit to install soon and have been getting conflicting info if the shocks need to be longer and also if a carrier bearing spacer is needed. Any info will help.

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 'leveling kit' only raises the front to make the front 'level' with the rear. It sounds like you are putting on a 2" lift kit which will raise both front and rear 2"? The kit should have instructions with it. If it does read'em it should tell you if you need new shocks or not. If all else fails call the manufacturer of the kit, they should be happy to answer your questions. But, if it were me, I'd go with new shocks and I wouldn't worry about the carrier bearing.
Good luck with your project!

Rusty74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm installing a 2" leveling kit for the front and need to keep the factory rake, that is why the 2" blocks will be added to the rear.

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
This summer I broke "several" leaves on the rear springs on my "99 F250 while towing my fifth wheel. I went to the local spring shop to have them replaced and unfortunately he didn't have any "250" springs in stock. He suggested I use the "350" springs instead. Well... after a while in the waiting room he asked me to come have a look. "Might be a tad high" he said "you decide". Let me describe it this way... I'm '6'2'' tall and my chin was now just above the tailgate! "Man" I said, " I didn't think there would be that much difference between the 250 and 350". "There isn't", he reexplained. "But there is between the 250 and the 450". He went on to say that he was also out of the 350's and thought the 450's would be ok with me. Honestly, I really like the look.
Ok... so that's the background. Now on the the questions. Needless to say the rear shocks are a tad bit short for this new suspension geometry. The measurement center-to-center, is now 27 1/2 inches (I didn't think to measure before so I don't have any idea what it was.) Any idea as to what shock I need now? Also, as I mentioned I really like this look but now need to reaise the front a little. Any suggestions here?
Oh, before I forget... it REALLY made a difference in pulling my 11,000lb trailer.
Thanks in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58