Rear sway bar?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question...but did '02 Superduties come with rear sway bars as an option?

My endlink bushings upfront are shot and I've been looking around for what all to replace. I see in the energysuspension catalog (energysuspension.com | Products) that they list a "Sway Bar Bushing Sets- Front and Rear". But looking at the truck, I don't see any rear sway bars.

I've copied the pages (pdf) View attachment 10796for your viewing pleasure.

Advice on what all to replace while I'm at it, appreciated! Is this a good product? Front kit seems to be 4.5186 (according to Wiki, too), and rear is 4.5187. There is also a full kit, including spring bushings, front & rear: View attachment 10797. How much work is it to get the spring bushings changed?

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Rear sway bar

They were special ordered options on most of the early Powerstroke trucks, mine does not have it either but you can piece the whole thing together at the dealer for around $400. All the brackets and mounts are already on the rear differential and frame.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
if you don't have a rear bar then you only need the front set...the number you show is the correct number - i should know i've replaced them TWICE.....

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has them. Sad thing is, when you go to replace the rears? You can't get to the driver side endlink without dropping my tank. Oh joy!

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. How come you replaced twice!! The snow plow? Any thoughts to the relative worth of adding the rear bar?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
no thought of adding rear bar...i don't see the need - for me anyway..

yeah, prolly the plow....larger tires...who knows, maybe a bad energy sus. kit (i should clarify, replaced factories around 57k, then again at 85k)

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rear sway bar on my 2002, but I can not say it was a factory installed option. I got the truck used. I replaced all my bushings with the Energy Suspension kit. Plan on a whole day and having a press to use if you get the complete kit. And use alot of the lube they provide. Petroleum based grease will deteriorate the bushings. I'm happy with the results on my truck. My front sway bar end links were shot, as well as the track bar bushings.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave - not sure if you're asking me or 02stroker, but I have around 106k, and just as he writes, my endlink bushings, especially the bottom ones are mushed out.

I ordered the black energy suspension kit since it is graphite impregnated. Haven't arrived yet. '02stroker, their site says that they are impermeable to grease..

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 140,000 miles on it, about 7,500 on the new bushings. RSG, I didn't see that on their site, but it's good to know. :sweet I used a synthetic grease on mine when I installed them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58