Rebuild is burning oil... help needed

drmayf

DrMayf 2000 F250 PSD SC
Reaction score
Ok, I own a 2013 KR F350 Dually, so this isn't for that truck. But, rather for a friend who has a 2003 Excursion 7.3L he had rebuilt about a year or so ago. His truck is still in the shop trying to cure a lube oil burning problem. I am seeking, for him, some possible solutions to the issue. In quotes below are some of his comments to me on what was done to the engine and what is happening now. Please excuse the long initial message. Just an effort on my part to share the problem.

latest:
"The original engine made it to 160k but still had cracked injector cups. Still running good. My ingenious plan was to buy a engine from a wrecked truck and rebuild that at my leisure and drop it in. At some point I decided that the metal was too heavy and I'm too tired to waste my time on it so I took it to a shop and dump a truck load of parts, pretty much ever part new or re-machined down to the piston squirters, ICPR and every sensor too.

The change in the injectors was to squeeze some more hp out of the old dog. Injectors are the bottle neck. I had a 6 slot tuner and it worked fine, but figured with a new turbo and injectors all will be well. Had a regrind on the cam to make it all a good combination, which was a project a shop did with about the same exact set of parts to keep things sane. Pretty much a proven combination with this motor, should have made in the 500hp range without missing a heartbeat. Swapped out the powdered metalic rods for early forged, etc. All good on the bottom end studs, and up top, head studs too. I collected parts for about 4 years getting ready for the big rebuild. It just happened a little bit sooner then I would have liked.

So when the water pump seals finally died from diesel mixing in, it seemed like a good time to call it and get my motor done.

I had taken it to a ford 'stealership' and they wanted 2800 to pull the heads, put new cups in and bolt them back on, nothing else, no machine work, just replace cups. I said thank you no. Figured better to just get the whole thing redo at that point. But still I drove it about 25k before having the water pump seals die.

I think that's my saga. The old motor ran like a MO-FO stock, just needed a lot to fix, figured better to start my own project with it.

Oh, forgot this tidbit the known weak point on the 7.3L were the transmission. As soon as they put the first motor in and took it for a test drive guess what exploded...

Add that to the bill."

Earlier Message:
"I have tried to do the cups and injectors myself a long while back with all the stock parts. Didn't do it right. I have a special tool for doing the injector cups that I got after the first one I used was near impossible to install the cups back into the heads as you had to install them with a mandril and a hammer! The second tool you just tighten it down, and no worries. The problem is the engine is too tucked in behind the cowel to smack with a hammer.

All the stuff for the new motor was new, injector o-rings, injectors rebuilt (238-80 is 238cc/80% nozzle), everything! I think anything it's something for the guy to look at, especially since the first time around it was likely piston rings, but second time new bore, pistons, rings, etc. I do suspect something in the heads, but again I see a lot of blow bye when it is dead cold. Again, not as bad as the first motor, but still just enough to make me think something's wrong.

Coolant system is clean, no diesel or oil, so I think the injector cups are good, just possibly not the o-rings or what ever the
mystery is. I think overall it's bad machine work either in the heads or still a problem with rings."

earlier:
"Yeah, I brought this up and he said if it is leaking it get into the cooling system. I'm not 100% about that. I know diesel will fill the coolant system up as that was the main reason for the rebuild. I had a cracked cup syndrome and my coolant was a mix of diesel. That has all stopped, but new smoking engine with all of the internals new.

Injectors were rebuilt 238-80 Hybrids and they came with all new o-rings and seals. Still could be the problem, but I'm not the one getting paid to fix it. I'm going to see if they should be sent back in any case as they were really expensive so now suspect!

I had done an injector cup job on the truck a long while back but didn't fix the issue, the motor that's in the truck now is a totally different set of heads and block all supposedly redone or inspected."

Still earlier:
"Ahh the Excursion (2003 PSD 7.3L) Saga...

About a year ago maybe longer I took her in for a new engine. Had cracked injector cups and was leaking diesel into the cooling system. So have been collecting parts over the years and got a wrecker motor and had machine work done on block and heads, tossed in a slew of new parts, turbo (GTP38R, HPOP, Billet Intakes, etc) and hoped for the best. Got the truck back and while it ran like a MF'er it was burning oil greater then a 2 quart /1000 miles. Crop dusting the street in the morning when cold so took it back. They said the bore was not good or hone not sure didn't care as it was their job to check (I paid extra becuase I had brought parts). They rebuild the motor a second time got it back, and it was way better, but was using about 1 quart of oil / 1000miles. Took it back, they couldn't figure it out, `somehow` my rebuilt HPOP was now leaking oil after a problem with the oil reservoir in the pump draining every night so starting was near impossible without a lot of cranking. Lot's of other crap. Needless to say it's been mostly in their shop for about a year. Yep, a year. They say that the brand new GTP38R I got has a bad intake seal or something but everyone I talked to said when the seal is bad you know it. I'm into the parts and the initial bill some ungodly amount of money and on one of the attemps of fixing the car it had been sitting for months that when driven my wife had back to back blow outs on the rear tires. This caused the rear fenders to get bent up from the force of the blow outs (tires were completely shredded). Not totally their fault but would not been a problem if it wasn't sitting for months on end. I won't mention the part where I told my wife it was not a good idea to drive it fresh from the shop, but that's another story..."

Well, you get the idea. Any help for this problem? I am at wits end, which for me was a short distance, lol.
it is ok to pm me directly.

drmayf

210.779 mph exit (not top) speed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg