Rebuild my 4R100 or switch to a 6spd?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I'm currently saving up for a BTS. I got to thinkin and thought i would post on here to get you guys opinion.

how hard would it be to convert my current auto to a 6spd?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? :dunno

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'm currently saving up for a BTS. I got to thinkin and thought i would post on here to get you guys opinion.

how hard would it be to convert my current auto to a 6spd?

A real PITA, you pretty much would need a donor truck with a tranny, transfer case, drive shafts (maybe), bell housing, clutch, clutch fork & mechanism, clutch pedal & master cyl, PCM and a vehicle harness for a manual tranny truck. All that and likely more as well as a taller floor pan in the cab tranny tunnel. (The manual tranny is taller and req's a bigger hump.)

What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? :dunno

I've already indicated the disadvantage of converting to a manual.

I've never heard of anybody with a legitimate complaint against a BTS, except maybe the price. But in this case, it's a matter of you get what you pay for. I've had one for around 6 or 7 years now. It hasn't as much as even hick-upped in around 130,000 miles.

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
From the job tailgunner explained, Looks like i'll be rebuildin the 4R100. Thanks for the input guys.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 4R100 rebuilt about 5 months ago down here in Ball, LA with a BD tc and shift kit for $2200 with a 1yr warranty.

Anyone else with a billet tc every notice more of a "whine" from the tranny area when accelerating? Mine does it and so does my uncles 99 F250 and he also has a billet tc.

Last edited:

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my 4r100 rebuilt at Eagle Transmission about 2 months ago, in Watuaga, Texas. Billet converter, shift kit and complete rebuild for $2800-ish, with 12 month/12,000 miles warranty through ATSG. I can't tell if there's any difference in the noise it makes. I had an ATS 5-star TC before the rebuild, and it doesn't sound much different now. Between my turbo and the AFE-II, it whines pretty good. People who ride with me (complete foreigners to diesel trucks) compare my truck's sounds to the E-6B (Boeing) planes I work on. hahaha.

Maybe I'm hearing the TC, also. Can't tell. :dunno

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(I'm currently saving up for a BTS)

That's the right thing to do, BTS all the way and like Tail-Gunner said you will be glad you did.

Doug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14