Recent '94 Purchase

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law recently purchased a used U-Haul truck. It has the 7.3L in it. I was wondering what problems, if any, we should be expect. I have not driven the truck yet but he says it run well. Any "heads up" you guys can give will be appreciated.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 94, you'll run into one of the worst oddities ever. During that one year, for that one engine, the pulleys on all of the accessories are different. It uses a 7 rib belt. It's not available everywhere (they most likely will have to order it). I'd go ahead & get one and keep it on hand. Accessories (pump, alternator, idlers, etc) all use a 7 rib pulley -- they are more expensive, too. As they are going out on mine, I'm replacing them with the 8 rib pulleys from a 95 and up. Once I get all of them replaced, I can switch to the 8 rib belt. I replaced several things before coming up with this idea, I wish I had started sooner, I could probably be fully converted by now.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto what Ben said, although I have spare belts and pulleys, etc. for mine. Another thing to watch for on the early trucks is the oil bypass valve located where the oil filter attached to the header. It is staked in and sometimes falls out or is missing altogether. This will cause oil to bypass the filter. If it does fall out and you find the pieces (spring, washer and fiber disc), you can stake them back in. You can also get the updated header that has snap ring retained valves. Cheers!

96P_Stroke4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to clear it up, which engine is it? '94 non turbo, '94 turbodiesel, or '94 powerstroke? i'm not sure what model u-haul uses all the time but is it a pickup front end or van front end? pics would help

Last edited:

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to find out more about the truck. I have not seen it yet so still a little vauge on information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14