recomendations on towing

jimmypage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what upgrades could i do to my truck cause it is lifted to make it tow my 30' toyhaulers a little bit easier???? (meaning temps, power, trans, etc....) thanks i would appreciate any input

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
gauges are #1 so you can monitor your temps and a programmer or chip to give you some extra power. Id look at the banks kit with the PDA. I'd also look at upgrading your trans if you plan on towing alot

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard of next to ZERO 5r110 (torque-shift) failures....towing
and hauling requires that you have gauges...even w/OUT mods.

the factory (in dash) gauges are worthless...w/ the exception of
the fuel gauge...the oil pressure & trans gauges are worthless...

and heres the proof:

Factory Trans Gauge <SUX> PROOF
Factory Oil Gauge <SUX> PROOF

the coolant temp (gauge) is MARGINAL: PROOF

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
pretty much what bush stated. i have over 100,000 miles worth of towing on my F350 with the torqshift and it never gave me one minutes trouble.

i think where most may mess up is towing with to high of a HP tune, combined with a heavy load, and i think that could cause some tranny troubles.

but definately do the gauges. :thumbs

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest re-gearing your truck, if you haven't already done so. When I swapped out my stock 3.73's for 4.56's I noticed a little bit lower egt's, more power (mostly off the line) and lower tranny temps. My cruising rpms running the 4.56's and 38" tires are right around where they were when my truck was bone stock. (265/75R16's and 3.73's)

Last edited:

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm;

Being an old (short) guy, I would lower the truck to stock height, and put stock size tires on it so you can use it for towing without worry. You will get better mpg, and power without needing to change gears, or add power adders. Better stability when cornering, and cross wind situations. Also larger, heavier tires and wheels put a strain on the stock brakes.
Or

If you like your truck jacked up,
buy another truck and keep it stock to pull with.

Just an old guys opinion. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14