Recommended alternator?

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
I'm having some problems with my alternator on my truck. It puts out 14.2 volts at idle with no accessories turned on. As soon as I turn on headlights, radio, and a/c with blower on high (all at the same time), the voltage drops to 13.7 volts and stays at that number and never rises until I turn everything back off. Even after 2 minutes the voltage stays at 13.7 volts with all accessories on.

Also, I had the alternator off the vehicle and took it to the auto parts stores to load test. Two different Advance Auto stores showed the alternator as "Passed". I took it to Autozone and it showed "Failed". None of these stores showed any values, just pass or fail.

Has anyone else tested voltage drop with and without a load? What kind of results did you get?

Also, can someone recommend a good aftermarket alternator with a little bit higher output then the original 110 amps? I'm thinking at least 130-150 amps. Thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, we just found out today that we are having a girl!!!!! We already have two boys.

Drew

JRJ04

Reaction score
Drew,

Congrats on the girl! As for the alternator...I'm not sure you've got a problem. Unless it continues to fall, I'm not sure I'd worry about it. I think there's bound to be some slippage when there's a load on it. Does it come back up at all when you've got it revved up (like going 70 mph turning ~2K rpms)? Others will chime in, but I dont know that you're going to gain much by upgrading unless you're putting a really big load on it (like aftermarket lights, running PTO items etc.)

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Even after revving to 1,200-1,300 RPM, it stays at 13.7 volts. I have a brother that has the same truck and engine as I do. He said his recovers within 1-2 seconds of turning everything on. By recovering, I mean his voltage immediately goes back up over 14 volts. I have two Interstate 1000 cranking amp batteries that are about 3 months old. I've just always thought that my alternator is not putting out enough. After driving for 30 minutes to an hour, I can go out and charge my batteries on 10 amps and they will usually go for 3-4 hours before they are fully charged.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I don't think there is anyting wrong I have a digital volt gauge in my truck and it is always going from 14.5 down to 12.5 it seems to switch on and off by itself and I have a brand new alternator and not a cheap one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58