Red Fox - Healthy or Not?

Reaction score
Early this morning - daylight just coming up - looked out my office window into the backyard and there was this, what I have to assume, was this really large Red Fox. Sucker was a bit bigger than my one dog TJ who is a Blue Heeler/Border Collie mix - though he was thin looking to me.
He stopped in the middle of the yard and looked towards the window - guess he saw the movement. To me - he didn't look to good. I would say he appeared to have mange. He was mottled, half dark brown and the rest of him a yellowish/orange look. Hair looked pretty short, maybe matted.

Although I live in the "burbs" - I back up to a section of woods which ajoins a protected wetlands/wild life area. So it's not uncommon to see deer, eagles, and various creatures - just haven't seen a fox this large in my yard.

I had a deal with a rabid racoon last year - and don't want to repeat that with the county and all - would rather just take this sucker out should he appear again. So the question is - is this a normal winter coat?

Thanks -

Ron

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Most red foxes dont get much bigger than about 15 pounds, and thats a biggun! So I wonder if you didnt see a 'yote? But at any rate, the mangy looking coat could have been either winter coat sheding or actually the mange.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Up here Arctic Fox are the biggest carriers of rabies known to man. The red and black ones are not quite so bad but if there was one in my yard he would disappear in a hurry.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Probably a Coyote. You haven't lived until you have to match wits with a Fisher. Sort of like a giant weasel. Anyone here ever have fun with one of these critters?

Reaction score
Okay - so as two of you think it's a coyote - I did some checking. Seems that coyotes have been on the rise around here since they are not native here.

Now here is something funny from the State of Virginia:

"LEGAL STATUS: The coyote is legally classified as a nuisance
species and may be killed at anytime, except coyotes may not be killed with a gun, firearm, or other weapon on Sunday." :dunno :dunno :dunno WTF?

And:
"They have large erect ears, an elongated sharp muzzle and a long bushy tail," he said. "Overall pelt coloration tends to be brown or buff interspersed with mottled gray or black. The chin, throat, chest and stomach are usually a lighter shade of brown or cream. Average adult weights range from approximately 30 to 40 pounds, with some individuals approaching 60 pounds."

Soooo - maybe it was. I'm thinking maybe it was a young adult :dunno
In the two pictures I found below - the single picture - that's kinda close to what his coat looked like. But with the two cubs - that's close to the face I saw - shorter snout. So I guess young adult.

Ron

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
These were caught in our business in Dallas.

Tbar

Reaction score
Well - you guys are good . . . and correct. It appears from the howling/yelping that there are three of them. Since we are not use to them - it's kinda neat hearing them back there in the woods.
Next door called and asked did we hear "that" - I said yeah - it's okay - go ahead and put your cat out :roflmao

Soooo - I don't know how long they plan on the howling/yelping noise - but anyone got a night scope I can borrow :D

Ron

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any cats left around here but I do have 5 or 6 good for nothing dogs that keep waking me up at all times of the night and day if I take a nap.
Could you come and get them?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58