Red FUEL FILTER Light

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My fuel gelled up a little last night as I posted in this thread. Just before the engine started acting up a red FUEL FILTER light came on. I know there is a sensor in the bottom of the canister for the WATER IN FUEL light but I never even knew I had a FUEL FILTER light until it came on. Owned this truck since new (12 years) and I have never seen it before. The other wires into the fuel filter canister are for the fuel heater.

Where and what does this light get it's reading from? Is it a restriction sensor or a low pressure sensor?

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long has it been since u put a new filter on...could need 2 drain the water or maybe time 4 new filter !!!

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the fuel gelled it most likely caused the fuel restriction sensor to light up the light. On the early trucks the restriction sensor was at the bottom rear of the fuel bowl and the water in fuel was on the driver's side. Later trucks had the restriction sensor on the FPR. Cheers!

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
Ya its weird. I had that light come on when I was driving my 1990 F250, a little fuel treatment in the bowl and tank and the light went out.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
and crumm says "Note to self: it gets cold in Alaska!"

Is your fuel bowl heater working?????
I would not be with out one and I "Just" live in Nebraska.
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
What was the temp when you had the problem? Do they not blend the fuel up there?

When I checked mine, it was broken away from the solder seats. I cleaned with lacquer thinner and soldered the wire back down with a heavy duty soldering gun. Its been working for 2 years now.
Rick H...

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
What was the temp when you had the problem? Do they not blend the fuel up there?

You must not have read the other thread I linked in the first post but I will explain ;) It was not the fuel's fault or the trucks fault. Reason it gelled is because it was below zero and I still had it full of #2 summer fuel. I only fill up every month or two so this fuel was left over from late August or early Sept. I did treat it with Howes but it didn't seem to help enough. I have since filled the front tank with #1 and added another dose of howes to the rear tank. I am running the back tank to work as the truck is in a heated shop at home. Just before I get to work I switch over to the front tank with the #1 so that after the truck sits outside for 34 hours it will start and make it home. Back tank should be empty by December so the #2 will all be gone before -40º sets in. Up here we can get -10º blended or #1. I don't use enough fuel in this truck to mess with the -10º so I run #1 all winter.

I just started this thread as I was wondering where the sensor was. I had never seen the filter light before but I knew why it was on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58