red fuel in the 6.0

brapp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
would it really hurt my 2003 6.0 to run red fuel in a pinch. liek if i dont have money and need to get home fromwork or somethign liek that. or if i dilute it. and i am running b5 biodiesel at the moment. will any of this react with my truck or the bio and harm my fuel system. any info would be greatly appreciated.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I know a rancher that has an '03 that had a new engine installed in it in '04. It never hits pavement so he runs ruby red.:dunno

I know around here the Highway patrol can and will pull you over to dip your tank. Any sign of dye and you get fined. I've ran ruby red once when I wanted to make sure I got home from the farm at 4am after riding a tractor for about 16hrs....totally spaced to go get fuel and the red was right there in the fuel wagon with a 12v electric pump.:innocent I only put in 10 gallons and my tank was pink for quite awhile.:eek: Be careful.

Reaction score
brapp said:
would it really hurt my 2003 6.0 to run red fuel in a pinch. liek if i dont have money . . .

Get caught with it your tank and then see how your wallet feels :eek: :eek:

It won't hurt your truck but it comes with hefty fines (in the thousands) if you are stopped and they check your tanks. The dye stays in your trucks system damn near forever it seems.

On edit: I see that you have asked this question in another thread. The red dye is applied to indicate that the fuel is non-taxed and therefore for off-road - i.e. farm use etc. The tax man can and will stop you and "dip" your tanks to check for red dye. Fines can range upwards to 10,000 easy. It seems that the higher the fuel prices go - the more check points they set up. I don't live near any farm area's - but they have stepped up checking us here now. 3 years ago you never would have seen a check point in the area. Best bet is to forget about it and stay legal - the few pennies you will save is just not worth the fines - and I believe a federal offense.

Ron

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you were stopped and they stuck your tank? I don't like to walk and I would use it in a pinch, and yes it does stay in your tank for what seams like for ever.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
I know around here the Highway patrol can and will pull you over to dip your tank.

I'm showing my ignorance here, but how would they know to stop you and check your tank? Smell? Fumes? Smoke?:confused:

brapp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the only reason i asked is b/c i had to walk yesterday with a 5 galon hydrolic oil bucket from work to a gas station that had die sel, b/c i didnt know if re dfuel would hurt my truck or not. and i run heavy equipment. and in the manual it sayd do not run red fuel damage to fuel system may accour. but i dont know wether to belive it or not. but i would have rather put a gallon or 2 in the truck than walk back to the gas station at least 5 miles away.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
I'm showing my ignorance here, but how would they know to stop you and check your tank? Smell? Fumes? Smoke?:confused:
They dont, its just random checks they make.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, plead ignorance and tell them you were in the South RIGHT AFTER KATRINA. Practically every diesel pump was dispensing red fuel because that was all there was to be had. The feds gave a special exemption for 45 days, so long as the taxes were collected at the pump, the DOT and troopers were supposed to leave you alone. Yes, they DO inspect our diesel pickup trucks randomly. Just drive down the interstate by a weigh station in Florida, occasionally you will see temporary signs telling motorists driving rental trucks, rental trailers, vans, and pickups to enter the weigh station. As an added bonus, the DOT guys dip the tanks of diesel vehicles at random. Guess who got picked?:eek:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
If it's any consolation, plead ignorance and tell them you were in the South RIGHT AFTER KATRINA. Practically every diesel pump was dispensing red fuel because that was all there was to be had. The feds gave a special exemption for 45 days, so long as the taxes were collected at the pump, the DOT and troopers were supposed to leave you alone. Yes, they DO inspect our diesel pickup trucks randomly. Just drive down the interstate by a weigh station in Florida, occasionally you will see temporary signs telling motorists driving rental trucks, rental trailers, vans, and pickups to enter the weigh station. As an added bonus, the DOT guys dip the tanks of diesel vehicles at random. Guess who got picked?:eek:

Wow, never heard of this before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14