Red fuel

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
The department of revenue has been setting up road side spot checks around here the last couple of weeks. My son was checked, but was good to go. They told him they have had over 30 violations in the last 2 weeks. There was fines or penaltys or taxes imposed. IRC section 4081 or 6715.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
The department of revenue has been setting up road side spot checks around here the last couple of weeks. My son was checked, but was good to go. They told him they have had over 30 violations in the last 2 weeks. There was fines or penaltys or taxes imposed. IRC section 4081 or 6715.

I read not more than 4-5 weeks ago where they were selling red at the pump because of shortages and not letting the customer know. From what I've read it stays in the tank for a long time. Bryan

Last edited:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is/was a short exemption to the red fuel rule due to the hurricanes and SUSPECTED fuel shortages.

The catch was, you STILL HAVE TO PAY TAXES on it, and you had to PROVE you paid the tax if you were stopped and inspected.

This was a nation wide exemption, but I dont know how much it was used. Most likely limited to the southern states affected by the hurricanes.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
That's great. Fuel stations were charging the TAXED rate for the dyed fuel down here, and the stuff coming out of the nozzle was as red as tranny fluid. I keep a copy of that IRS exemption order and all of the receipts I had when I pumped dyed fuel in the truck. I'm glad I have a diesel. There is NO gasoline here, and there won't be until Thursday.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Very interesting
On our trip to Jacksonville fl this weekend from Huntsville
while in lower Alabam we saw quite a few stations selling red fuel at 279 a gallon and normal fuel at 3.19. not sure if they are using as a gimmick to catch your eye, but i just decided it wasnt wortht eh hassle
and yes i put in 97 $ at a chevron 3.19
WOW
help 16 solid all weeknd ran between 72-74 on the highway
rray32539 said:
That's great. Fuel stations were charging the TAXED rate for the dyed fuel down here, and the stuff coming out of the nozzle was as red as tranny fluid. I keep a copy of that IRS exemption order and all of the receipts I had when I pumped dyed fuel in the truck. I'm glad I have a diesel. There is NO gasoline here, and there won't be until Thursday.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
No gimmick. Off road diesel is commonly sold at Alabama convenience store pumps in rural areas, farmers bring their equipment to the store for refueling, it's cheaper than having a dedicated tank at the farm. The distributors were selling the dyed diesel and paying the excise tax to the IRS under the emergency order until mid September.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
rray
we skirted your neck o teh wods sat and mon, just north of you.
i miss florida BAD
i may take advantage of some tax free fuel this week, i am at a 1/3 tank

rray32539 said:
No gimmick. Off road diesel is commonly sold at Alabama convenience store pumps in rural areas, farmers bring their equipment to the store for refueling, it's cheaper than having a dedicated tank at the farm. The distributors were selling the dyed diesel and paying the excise tax to the IRS under the emergency order until mid September.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Robert, next time let me know when you'll be in the neighborhood and maybe we can grab a meal. Our whole family is gathering up around these parts. Sis just sold her house in Kissimmee and is getting ready to build on her property near Lake Gantt, Alabama, just north of Andalusia on U.S. 29. It will be getting chilly, but the fishing is still good. I usually take the kids to Lake Jackson on the FL/AL border at the Alabama State Park, swimming, boating, improved campsites right downtown in Florala.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14