Reese Hitch

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking in a magazine the other day and it got me to thinking when I saw a contraption you can buy that bolts under your reese hitch to hold your ball hitch. I started to make my own. When I was under the truck checking out the situation and low and behold the ball hitch will slide right in to the main tubing ends on the reese hitch itself, and theres room for two, one on each side. Now I have my 1 7/8" ballhitch on one side and my 2" ballhitch on the other. All I did was drill some holes in the main tubing that will line up with the holes in the ball hitch to keep then from sliding out. Its great because they are up out the way and I have them with me at all times. It also saves my shines when I'm walking behind the truck when my boat is not in tow! Just thought it was pretty neat how it worked out and thought I'd share it!

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know but it takes so damn long to upload them to the picture bucket off dail-up:rant that I hadnt had time but as soon as I get a chance or can get the wife to do it for me I will.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's us fixing to hook up my buddies truck today. Just gotta match drill the hole to line up with the one in the ball to put the pin in to keep it from sliding out. On this one we had to take a beltsander and grind down the seem inside the tubing to get it slide in and out easy. Wat you guys think?
DSC03422.jpg

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like a good idea...
id be interested seeing where you
drilled the hitch...

is it a good idea to grind or drill this stuff ?

atk

Reaction score
it is not recommended to drill and/or weld to a trailer hitch...i have seen what can happen if it is not done properly....

but that is a good idea....

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drilled the hole not to far behind where the 1/4" plate is welded to the tubing. The drill bit walked a bit so I had to go a little bigger than originally planned but it works great! If I ever did it again I'd take the whole thing off to do it. ATK I know its not probably recommended but me personally I have no worries about it what so ever but to each his own. I have seen so pretty crazy stuff done with homemade reese hitchs that I wouldnt trust enough to pull my wheelbarrel out of my driveway!:dizzy To add to that...me being a welder by trade, some of the welds that i've seen put on things like this that you buy I WOULD NOT TRUST!

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good idea. My step dad actually welded a pin to the end of the reciever hitch that will slide threw the pin hole. Works good

atk

Reaction score
I drilled the hole not to far behind where the 1/4" plate is welded to the tubing. The drill bit walked a bit so I had to go a little bigger than originally planned but it works great! If I ever did it again I'd take the whole thing off to do it. ATK I know its not probably recommended but me personally I have no worries about it what so ever but to each his own. I have seen so pretty crazy stuff done with homemade reese hitchs that I wouldnt trust enough to pull my wheelbarrel out of my driveway!:dizzy To add to that...me being a welder by trade, some of the welds that i've seen put on things like this that you buy I WOULD NOT TRUST![/QUOTE

yeah i agree with you on the welds these days...i too, is/was a welder in my younger days....

but your idea is still a good one...keeps them from sliding around in the bed of the truck....;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg