Regearing the rear end

chief2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at regearing the rear from 4:88's to a 4:10. Got some good info here and finally found someone to do the job. He has a good rep. and is wanting $1,500.00 to get it done. New Ring and Pinion, Carrier, Bearings and Pinion Seal. R & R included. Does this sound like a good price?

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which brand of gears will be installed? Make sure you get a quality set. Around here (Norther Colorado) I can get gears installed at a reputable shop ~$300 labor.

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much of that is parts, and how much is labor? i'd say about ~$500 labor is the max you want to do, and if he's charging you $1000 in parts for a common ratio on ONE axle....i'd look for a new shop.

Paul

chief2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wow, he tells me it is expensive because he also has to chage the carrier. He is also the only game in town with a good reputation. I hope I'm not getting screwed!

Race22

Jim
Reaction score
I don't see what the carrier has to do with the rear end unless it is bad and really does need to be changed. I had 4:10 put in another truck, F-150, and it only cost me $1000. He seams a little high to me.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Some of the carriers need to be changed if the ratios are too far apart. I don't know about the Ford ratios, but Jeeps need to change the carrier if you go from 5:38 to 4:10's. At least the early Jeeps did (1946 CJ-2A).

Dave

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, that might make a little more sense. carriers do have to change with certain ratio changes because the thickness of the ring gear will change a certain amount, to the point where the right ring gera is either too thick or too thin.

i'm not sure on the price of a carrier, but they shouldn't be too expensive. If this guy is your only option, and he's reputable, and you have the coin.... go for it.

chief2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
He is telling me that the Ring Gear is riveted to the carrier that is why it has to be replaced.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
On avarage the going price is $400 labor per axle if its on the truck, if the axle was removed it would be cheaper.

Gears just for the rear axle from the internet 4.10 $513
Master instal kit $191
carrier $???
rear axle setup $400

so its just for the rear axle $1104 + carrier price, before taxes and before hazmat, disposal fees ..... Now is yours 4wd, if it is then $1500 for both axles are a good deal, I also based this off a sterling 10.5

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14