Remote start

lomac9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put one on mine and love it. I paid 139.00 for mine installed. For 40 dollars more they would have incorporated everything into one remote but i opted to keep my Ford unlock pad. The only downside I see is that the minimum relay is 20 secs. (gas motors are approx 5-10 secs). If you turn your truck off and come back 20 minutes later it cycles the glow plugs as if your truck had been turned off for 24 hrs. The relay cannot determine if your engine is at operating temp or not. They put in the 20 sec relay so in the winter it will cycle all the way threw and the truck will start. Thats the reason I really only use it in the winter which is the main reason I bought it anyway.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
What's the range on it? I know my factory remote does maybe 50 ft. Where did you have it installed and where did you buy it?

lomac9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine done by a local stereo shop. Took the guy approx. 45 mins. The name brand I believe is Avital. The range is actually unreal.I can be in my bedroom which is opposite corner of the house from where my truck is (approx 100') and threw the house w/ my door closed it wrks everytime. Open parking lot every bit of 200' or more.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I got mine done by a local stereo shop. Took the guy approx. 45 mins. The name brand I believe is Avital. The range is actually unreal.I can be in my bedroom which is opposite corner of the house from where my truck is (approx 100') and threw the house w/ my door closed it wrks everytime. Open parking lot every bit of 200' or more.

I priced these around today and the cheapest I found was $450 installed!

I think I'll be buying one online and installing it myself. Any suggestions on where to find one cheap? I'm looking for one that's two way.

Also, are these a pain to install?

Jeffro

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They got you covered!

https://www.directwholesale.net/diagrams/diagrams.asp?link=DW
PRINTABLE VERSION
FORD

MODEL YEAR(S)
F SERIES SUPER DUTY 2002 -2005
KEY T-HARNESS IMMOBILIZER
N/A FD-1 (2002-2005 ONLY) N/A
PART COLOR LOCATION DIAGRAM
12 VOLT CONSTANT YELLOW (+) and LIGHT GREEN/PURPLE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER DARK GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER 2 N/A
IGNITION 1 WHITE/YELLOW or RED/LIGHT GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 RED/BLACK (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 3 N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 GRAY/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 DARK BLUE/LIGHT GREEN (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
KEYSENSE N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) BROWN (+) @ HEADLIGHT SWITCH
POWER LOCK See NOTE *1
POWER UNLOCK See NOTE *1 26500_F-SERIES-SUPER-DUTY_FORD GEM WAKE UP DIAGRAM II.pdf
LOCK MOTOR WIRE PINK/BLACK (+) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL
DOOR TRIGGER BLACK/LIGHT BLUE (+) IN EITHER KICK PANEL
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION USE DOOR TRIGGER, Requires Part #775 Relay
TRUNK RELEASE N/A
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A
HORN DARK BLUE (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS or VSM, See NOTE *2
TACH Any wire that is NOTE RED/LIGHT GREEN, See NOTE *3 @ IGNITON COILS
WAIT TO START LIGHT See NOTE *4
BRAKE LIGHT GREEN (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL
FACTORY ALARM DISARM N/A
ANTI-THEFT N/A
NOTES
NOTE *1 Vehicles without FACTORY KEYLESS ENTRY are a TYPE "C" Door Locking system, the PINK/YELLOW is for LOCK and the PINK/LIGHT GREEN is for UNLOCK both wires are found in EITHER KICK PANEL, you MUST use the DRIVERS DOOR SWITCH for TESTING. if vehicle is equipped with FACTORY KEYLESS ENTRY the Door Locks are a TYPE "B" System, the LOCK is a WHITE/RED (-) and the UNLOCK is a BLACK/WHITE (-) both wires are found at the VSM or in the DRIVERS DOOR HARNESS between the door and the door jam. You MAY also need to connect up the GEM WAKE UP DIAGRAM if when you use the REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY and the door locks stop working after a 5 minute wait.

NOTE *2 The VSM (Vehicle Security Module) is located to the RIGHT of the GAS PEDAL, just above the transmission hump and below the RADIO, it is NOT ACCESSIBLE from the radio opening.

NOTE *3 The DIESEL TACH wire is a GREEN/WHITE wire, located in a 5-pin harness held up with tape behind the parking brake release.

NOTE *4 For WAIT TO START LIGHT, do not use the wire in the vehicle, use the 5,10,15 or 20 Second PROGRAMMABLE Wait To Start Timmer on the Remote Starter
LINK 1 LINK TEXT 1 LINK 2 LINK TEXT 2

EXTRA INFORMATION
Show Large Image
This picture shows the Factory Ignition switch harness(with bolt in center) as it is plugged into the Left side of the Steering Column under the drivers dash. As stated in the Information above, the IGNITION #1 wire is a WHITE/YELLOW or RED/GREEN, in this case you can see the WHITE/YELLOW wire Ignition #1 in the forground of this picture.
Show Large Image
this picture shows the BRAKE SWITCH wire harness under the Drivers side of the dash, this harness has the Factory wire harness covering still in place.
Show Large Image
This is the LIGHT GREEN (+) BRAKE wire (marked with the RED Clip) in the Brake Switch wire Harness under the Drivers side of the dash at the Brake Switch.
Show Large Image
this shows the HEADLIGHT Switch remove from the dash of this vehicle to gain access to the Parking Light wire on this vehicle.
Show Large Image
This is a picture of the BROWN (+) PARKING LIGHT wire on the back of the Head Light switch, this wire is marked with the RED Clip in this picture.
Show Large Image
This picture shows the WHITE/RED TYPE "B" or (-) Negative Door LOCK wire (on vehicles with Factory Keyless Entry Systems) located in the DRIVERS DOOR JAM BOOT between the Drivers Door and the A Piller of this truck in the Door Harness, the LOCK wire is marked with the RED Clip in this picture.
Show Large Image
This picture shows the BLACK/WHITE TYPE "B" or (-) Negative Door UNLOCK wire (on vehicles with Factory Keyless Entry Systems) located in the DRIVERS DOOR JAM BOOT between the Drivers Door and the "A" Piller of this truck in the Door Harness, the LOCK wire is marked with the RED Clip in this picture.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
so i endud up buying an Avital 5303 remote start w/security features. it came with a shock sensor and audible alarm and all kinds of other stuff. i attempted to install it and whew, i think im in over my head on this one. im kinda wishing i just got the remote start kit. i thought about only hooking up the remote start portion, but the thing is i have to hook the entire unit up to get the remote start feature to work. plus, now that i think about it, i dont want my damn alarm going off every five minutes either. im wondering whether i should sell it, see if i can have it installed somewhere, or take another stab at it. open to any suggestions!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl