remote starter/alarm install (having someone else do it)

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
So I went to Ultimate Electronics, Car Toys, and called Circuit City today, looking at primarily the same setup from all 4 places. The salesman at Ultimate was a putz, so I don't plan on giving him a penny of my money on commission. Then the guys at Car Toys wanted EVERY penny I had. For the SAME alarm/remote start that the guys at Ultimate quoted me, they were close to $400 higher!!! The installer tried telling me I needed some special module to bring the keyless entry out of sleep mode or something, which was over $100. And then some outrageous amount of money for a diode on the Wait To Start light so it doesn't constantly run the Glow Plug Relay and some other crap. Over $900 for everything installed. I looked at him like he had a 3rd head.

Called the guy at Circuit City as I've had some good luck with them before, although they're hit or miss like everyone else. Talked to the install manager for a while and he said he thought the whole "sleep mode" thing was BS and quoted me $450 for a very similar system (no LCD remote, but I don't care) installed, out the door, ready to go.

$450 is much more in line with what I wanted to spend, I just want to make sure they're not missing anything!

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
i think that you could do well with $450 to spend.

look online at www.astrostart.com and look for local installers.

i went with an astrostart on Max Power's recommendation and could not be happier! i know folks with the audiovox units too, but for the money, astrostart was a much better option.

DIY folks have gone the bully dog route. they seem to like it. but remember, you get what you pay for.

dennis

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
The unit I'm looking at is a Python 871XP so it's a pretty good unit, just want to make sure the installers are on point with everything. The guy talked a good game, just wanna make sure he can walk it too.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
And I'm a DIY'er everywhere until it comes to electrical work, so I'll leave it up to someone else to put this in.

Reaction score
dpantazis said:
i think that you could do well with $450 to spend.

look online at www.astrostart.com and look for local installers.

i went with an astrostart on Max Power's recommendation and could not be happier! i know folks with the audiovox units too, but for the money, astrostart was a much better option.

DIY folks have gone the bully dog route. they seem to like it. but remember, you get what you pay for.

dennis

Dennis,

Which model did you get? It's on my "want list", which is quickly getting longer than my budget!!;)

COMPOSER

COMPOSER
Reaction score
I have the BULLDOG Delux 500. It works great. There are several ways the staring works w/the glow plugs. You can use a timer, or gp wattage, etc. It know its running either by rpm or voltage. Real easy to install yourself. Great support and very inexpensive. Great range, alot of extras and comes with a display remote keyfob.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg