Help Needed Removing 5r110w transmission

carneytowing

Wrecker
Reaction score
After weeks of poking and prodding and trying to find any other reason why my transmission would be acting crazy besides an internal problem, I have resigned to the idea that it is seals inside the transmission leaking. The cheapest rebuild I could find was $1800 and that is with stock parts, if I do a rebuild I want to go tougher and with upgraded parts it was gonna cost me closer to $2500. But I found a dealership that will give me a remanufactured transmission with a three-year unlimited mileage warranty for about the same price. I have a buddy that works on tranny's that will take out my old one and install the new one for $400. I am entertaining the idea of doing it myself and I am wondering if it is worth giving it a shot or if there is a sticky about it or something? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but transmissions always scare me. I know the thing is super heavy and I don't want to tear it up. Advice?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will need the tools and jacks to R&R the tranny. A good tranny jack can be rented to get it out. You will need a good floor jack to hold up the motor when the tranny comes out.

I have done this using manual tools, but now I use air tools only for a job like this. You will need a very long (2 foot) extension and swivel joints to get to the top tranny bolts and a whole bunch of other specialty tools. Might consider paying the guy the $400 to R&R the tranny. Good luck!!

Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carneytowing

The ford trans book I have also says that you have to replace the trans cooler with a new one and the TQ. So you need to dig into it more and ask. Some places will void the warrenty if these parts are not replaced at install.

carneytowing

Wrecker
Reaction score
carneytowing

The ford trans book I have also says that you have to replace the trans cooler with a new one and the TQ. So you need to dig into it more and ask. Some places will void the warrenty if these parts are not replaced at install.

Does that book mention anything about LED lights? I am reading my warranty info and it says they won't warranty it if I have LED tail lights. Does that affect the transmission?

carneytowing

Wrecker
Reaction score
Well, dang, I remember the cruise control on my Tahoe stopped working after I put LED lights in it. It had to do with the cruise control detecting the brake lights in order to turn it off, is there something in the ECM that tells the transmission when I hit the brakes?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58