Removing turbo vanes

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am in need of some quick guidance. Something is wrong with my turbo. It will not spool up (well, you can not hear it spool up or down anymore). You can spin the compressor by hand; there is no extra drag. Compressor and turbine can not contact the housings. Vanes are not siezed up. In park, it will not rev above 3000rpm; almost acts like a rev limiter. Truck has no power, similar to if a hose has blown off. Crusing is fine, it just takes a while to get to crusing speed. Truck idles great.

I am suspecting the VGT solenoid, but do not know how to test it. Is it even possiblen to test the solenoid off the engine?

Could I temporarily remove the vanes and unison ring to atleast be able to drive the truck to work tonight? I understand that it will have very little low end power because it would act like a fixed-vane large turbo (I might have this understanding backwards), but will it hurt anything mechanically? Anyone dones this before, intentionally or not?

Ok, I may have answered my own question: it would have the potential to overboost unless a blowoff valve or wategate were installed.

Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited:

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the potential outcome I wouldn't drive the truck. Pull the turbo and give the turbine side a good cleaning and see if that helps. You could buy another VGT solenoid and replace that as well.

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had recondidtioned the turbo while I had it off doing the HPOP about 1000 miles ago. I took the turbo back off and apart this past Sunday; still looks great and vanes work flawlessly (by hand). So I am suspecting the soleniod. I am going to try and bypass the turbo for now so I can atleast get to work; as the engine does not *need* the turbo. However, I am also debating on trying a used soleniod or just buying a new one. If I go with a new, I will have to wait until next paycheck because I am just barely short (all my bills come out the first two weeks of the month).

FWIW: I did datalog a few trips after putting the HPOP in, so I am going back through those logs to see what the duty cycle on the VGT solenoid was doing.

I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14