Removing vlave cover with pics?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got an instruction sheet of how to remove the valve cover with pics? If not, then just a GOOD instruction for a first timer. I'm wanting to check to see of my injectors need to be torques down. I was talking to a guy over at the PHP forum and he has a similar idle to mine. All of his driver side injectors were loose...he re-tourqed them and noticed a smoother idle, but still a hick-up in it. He is going to do the passenger side and suppose to get back with me on how his turns out. And what are the specs to torque them down?

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I pulled mine off the 97, it was pretty much just take the intake and filter off, then take the bolts out that hold the covers on. With the cooler pipes on the newer 7.3's, I would think after you take them off it should be the same. Pretty straight foward, nothing to really screw up. The bolts in the rear are "fun" to get out. If I remember correctly, the bolts for the covers get torqued to 8 lb-ft, I just tightened the injectors till snug.:dunno

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The oil filler tube screws off the rt side v.c.

The right (passenger) side was the more difficult. There were a couple of bolts on the bottom edge towards the rear that I found were actually easier to get through the right front wheel well using a 1/4" drive ratchet and a short socket.

The rest was pretty straight forward.

If you're going under the valve covers, replace the glow plugs and put the plastic locking wedges in the UVC connectors.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
think about what you are proposing with the injectors being 'loose'.

the bolts WILL relax after getting torqued, that is why they get torqued.

if they are that 'loose' you are going to lose the seal in the copper washer and have messed up orings for both fuel and oil.

you think its time you spend the money and get a manual for the engine to look up stuff like injector removal and torque specs?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably so DP. I bought a manual from Autozone....but it was just a general superduty/excursion manual. I do need a specific 7.3 manual....even though a manual doesn't tell all the little tricks. Thats what I like about talking to other people that know the tricks. It's just getting to the point where I'm needing to check deeper into the engine, and I've never gone that far into one. It's my only vehicle and I live off away from everyone I know....so can't really afford having my truck down for a long period of time. There's nothing to do around this area so I like to tinker with my truck.....wife says I might as well be married to it lol.

So after the bolts are torqued from factory....and they get a couple hundred thousand on them, they loosen up. That's acceptable to run the truck like that?

dpantazis

Reaction score
bolts don't 'loosen' like that. any stretch or losses due to creep or relaxation are already taking into account by the engine designer. think of them like springs instead of rigid links. they apply pressure like a clamp.

the injectors are seated in their bores. they are well 'stuck' in there when they are seated. if they get 'loose' they are loose.

you will learn not to tinker on your daily driver. you will also learn not to tilt at windmills. that other guy from the other forums will too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58