Repairing rust on my SD

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Okay, I know this was on here before, I did a search but couldn't really come up with anything so my question is, what is the proper way to repair the rust spots that are on the bottom of the doors and the bottom panels of my truck.

I know the spots have to be sanded first but what product is the best to use as a primer??? I was told by one fellow that "Rust Bullet" is a good product to use but want to make sure before I start this project......:dunno

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :D

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POR 15 works good, bunch of my friends are in the body shop industry, this is what they recommend

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
por 15 in my opinion would be the best, however it is also the most expensive.

regardless of what you use, make sure all the rust is sanded off, so you dont have to deal with it again in a year.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Sorry for OT but would this "por 15" work well for a salter? The paint tends to chip and then rust like a biatch, id love to paint it with something that will last.

Cheers

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
bedliner (the real spray on stuff) is the only thing i have seen work on the state truck sanders that come in to work. por15 would last much longer than the other inferior paints.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
and undercoat the inside of the doors down at the seam (which is why it starts in the first place)

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for OT but would this "por 15" work well for a salter? The paint tends to chip and then rust like a biatch, id love to paint it with something that will last.

Cheers

Por 15 in it self is a rust inhibitor, preventor. It can be painted over. the makers of POR15 also have paint strippers, and what they call "metal ready" with is like an etcher to promote adhesion and rust resistance. I believe both the stripper and metal ready are not acid base. if you google search POR 15, it will bring up the company's website with all sorts of info, msds, and prices direct. I know a lot of guys that use this for plows, salters and such, I was going to repaint my plow frame work next month before the chance of winter arriving early.

Last edited:

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies.......great info......ordered the POR 15, got my etching primer and paint.......soon as we get a couple days of clear, dry weather here I will start the project. Was checking the truck today and I think I'm gonna put new rubber striping at the bottom of the doors too--it's pretty dried out and cracked so I may as well fix that too.....;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14