Replace bed or repair?

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some rust starting to peek through on the rear fenders around the wheel wells and the channels running crossways under the bed are rusting out to the point I can see rust forming in the bed from them. Would you guys repair the bed or jusat replace it? There is a place here local that custom builds ambulances and rescue trucks that has brand new take-off beds from 09-10 superduties they sell. Called them up the other day and they are are asking $900 for a complete bed. Bed, tailgate, tail lights, and bed caps. Seems like a good price to me. Replace the bed and paint the whole truck is what I was thinking. What's you'r opinion?

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TAKE IT, thats an excellent price for a new take off - We get 3K for new takeoff's and more for 6' beds.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get that sucker in the morning before they go up on the price.
Good Luck.
Doug

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling and putting my name on a bed tomorrow. Also got an estimate of $3,000-$3,500 to repaint the entire truck. I love this color red, but boy is it expensive. Would you get the bed liner sprayed in before painting or after?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling and putting my name on a bed tomorrow. Also got an estimate of $3,000-$3,500 to repaint the entire truck. I love this color red, but boy is it expensive. Would you get the bed liner sprayed in before painting or after?

I'd say BEFORE for a couple of reasons...
From what I've heard, and it makes sense, a "rougher" bed gives the bed liner something to cling to. And why paint an area thats gonna be permanently covered up. Last, anytime you take your truck to a shop theres a chance of an accident happening..shop floors can be difficult to navigate and something could happen to you freshly painted truck :eek: I think I'm gonna try that DIY herculiner. Anybody heard of how good it is?

Last edited:

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the liner before for the same reasons. I've seen the DIY stuff already, and if the bed isn't properly prepped, it peels off. Now all I have to do is wait for the shop to call and say they have a bed for me. 2002 with a 2010 box, sounds like I'll have an even rarer truck than I do now. Might be the perfect chance to put some custom badges on it...:sly

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the liner before for the same reasons. I've seen the DIY stuff already, and if the bed isn't properly prepped, it peels off. Now all I have to do is wait for the shop to call and say they have a bed for me. 2002 with a 2010 box, sounds like I'll have an even rarer truck than I do now. Might be the perfect chance to put some custom badges on it...:sly

Yea I've asked around about the diy bed liner and I'm gonna pass on it for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14