Help Needed Replaced CPS and more, still no luck

TomPethtel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've looked around a lot but haven't found anything that quite answers my questions. My truck began by shutting off in the rain, and could always be immediately restarted. A few days later it began shutting of after 10-45 minutes of driving. These are obviously the classic signs of a bad CPS. I took the truck in for the warranty service. They replaced the sensor only for the truck to die on my way home after picking it up. The next day, they charged me $100 to tell me that my Edge Attitude was the problem. Two weeks later, I have replaced the CPS once again, replaced the CPS wiring and connector, removed the Edge box, and the truck still shuts down on me every time. Give it about an hour before trying to start it again, and it will crank a few times before finally starting hard. I don't know what to do next, and can't afford to just keep replacing sensors until one works. :dunno Thanks for any advice!
Tom

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What do you drive??? Fill out your signature so we can help you better. Go to the USER CP on the Blue Line above and click on it.

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've got two thoughts, one concerning the rain thing. The other concerning the 10 - 45 minutes thing.

Towards the front of the driver's side cylinder head, near the fuel filter, there is a sensor. It is the injector control pressure sensor. ( I may have a wrong name, but that's what the thing does.) At any rate, I have heard on rare occasion, like following pressure washing the engine, water can get into the connector on top of the sensor. Sometimes, the pins for the connector get corroded and the function of the sensor is diminished. A fix was to put a liberal amount of di-electric grease into the connector/pins and reconnect the harness to the sensor.

Now the other thought concerns the time thing, which might more be of a warming engine situation. Frequently, when these 7.3's cut-out while warming or just afterwards, it ends up being the UVC (Under Valve Cover) wire harness connector. If you look at the top center edge of either valve cover, you'll see a wire harness & connector. Under the valve cover there is another connector that is notorious for coming partially or fully apart. If it comes partially apart, then whether the contacts are touching or not is often temperature dependent. This was such a widespread problem, Ford came out with a little plastic wedge that could be added to the connector that locked the connector together preventing inadvertant separation.

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the sameproblem with the rain or after car wash. my electrical system goes crazy, interior lights flicker or stay on and ignition comes on without key in the ignition

TomPethtel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well the problem is finally solved. I took it to a performance engine builder and he did some analysis with his scanner and determined it to be a bad ECM. I put the ECM in another truck of the same year and it did fine. Tonight I found that I have a cracked ICP sensor that was leaking oil. I unplugged the sensor and the problem was solved. Heading to the International dealer in the morning to pick up a new one. Thanks for your advice Tail_gunner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14