replaced glow plugs...no success!

theBAT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I need your help. My truck has been having a rough time starting. The engine will crank like it wants to start, it blows white smoke, so I know it's getting plenty of fuel. After 5 minutes of me turning the key off and on the truck will finally start. It sounded like a glow plug issue, so I replaced the glow plug relay, didn't fix the problem. Had the batteries tested, they checked out fine. Had the glow plugs changed, I was told that I had 4 bad glow plugs. I was hoping that would have fixed my problem but still, having problems starting it...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kev

It's a 1996 F350 crew cab with 201,000 miles.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
How old are the batts, I know you said you had them tested but............ sounds to me like you either have another bad GPR or weak batts.

theBAT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I looked for a date on the batteries and had no luck finding them. Any possibilty it could be the UVC harness? Any other way to find out if it's the batteries?

Kev

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yes, the UVC harness is a possibility, though usually when it shorts out you lose all 4 injectors on that bank and it runs like a Cummins.

theBAT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
okay, it runs great once it starts. So, even though I just bought the relay a month ago, there is a possibility it could be bad? Are you betting bats or relay?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I would suggest jumping the two large terminals on the GPR with a screwdriver or even a set of jumper cables, after about 30-40 seconds, have someone hit the key (watch out for the fan!!). See how it starts. If it doesnt start or runs similar to how it is now then I would lean to the batts being the culprit. If it starts up and purrs along then it was your GPR. GPR's on these things can fail fairly easily.

theBAT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought mine at shucks, is there a better brand or place to purchase the relays at? Any recommendations for battery brand or specifications on the batteries. Thanks again for all your help.

hillbilly9978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back on the GPR problems and or glow plug problems

my truck has been clicking for the first 2 minutes or so when i turn the key over to start it and the wait to start light stays on for much longer than it used to and my voltage gauge flickers back and forth and my lights dim in and out until its done clicking then it runs fine

i replaced my gpr and it didnt do anything to it. it still clicks the same amount everytime weather my truck is warm or cold and it all started after i programmed it with a edge evolution now it wont let me change between settings but it is on the stock setting as far as i know i cant tell any power gains at all but the first few times i played around with it and changed through the settings on the programmer it worked fine and one day i was putting it back on stock and it started clicking and the programmer said error or something like that

so i am out of ideas i need some pro advice

thanks a lot

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I dont think the Edge should have altered the GP cycle any at all. I am concerned that you cannot change settings on the edge. Have you tried to remove the edge completely yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg