Question Replacing fuel filter

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine mentioned to me that he changes the fuel filter in his duramax about every 10K miles, which struck me as odd because I dont ever change mine. Got me to thinking im doing something wrong. How often should you change the fuel filter?

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
fuel filter

I've heard 15k... and thats how often i change mine, because injectors are a LOT of money, and i believe the manual calls for 15k.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, I am way behind then. I have replaced it once since I bought my truck because I had water in the fuel. I've put atleast 25K, prob closer to 30+ since I replaced it that time.

I never really thought it needed it more often because the oil change place never asked if I wanted it done. They typically try to get every penny they can so they ask about everything that needs to be replaced.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
15K miles is what is called for in YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. You ought to read it before you mess up your truck.

Dave :)

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The 6.0's are ones you def want to keep care of. Change the filter asap, located on the driver's side frame pretty easy and straight forward. the benefit of doing it at 15k is 1 less worry. clogged fuel filters/faulty or dirty filters will in end do their damage and you will wish you had spent the extra cash on fuel filter.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15K miles is what is called for in YOUR OWNERS MANUAL. You ought to read it before you mess up your truck.

Dave :)

yes, I know its my responsibility, just never thought about it.

The 6.0's are ones you def want to keep care of. Change the filter asap, located on the driver's side frame pretty easy and straight forward. the benefit of doing it at 15k is 1 less worry. clogged fuel filters/faulty or dirty filters will in end do their damage and you will wish you had spent the extra cash on fuel filter.

plan to get it done tomorrow morning. Its not a money issue, I just thought it was more of an every 50k mile thing,

Given that its been so long and there is probably some stuff that had gotten through the old filter, is there some kind of additive I should add to my fuel for a while or maybe change out the fuel filter every 5-10k for while to help clean things up?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I was NOT getting on your case, just a strong reminder. I am not a big fan of fuel additives or oil additives. Power Service is one that I have occasionally used. You can get it at Wal Mart. Look in the Automotive dept for the Grey Bottle of Power Service. I think you will be fine in any event. How it runs is the key.

Dave

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Buy a Lucas "deep clean" bottle. Treats entire fuel system and injections when u change out your filter, dump that into gas tank, and top off diesel. run that for a tank and should help ya. Other than that stick to the 15k rule. Biggest thing about fuel filter is Diesel fuel is not the same everywhere you go.. i'm sure you have at some point had "water in fuel" light come up. The 15k change helps, because the filter in my opinion can take dirty fuel for 15k miles... then its done. So stick to 15k and use that deep clean Lucas fuel addative to clear up your injectors if they need em. Hope this helps.

From time to time i usually dump the lucas fuel stabalizer in my tank its less expensive and i love the lucas brand because the produce quality products. check em out if you choose to run it i havent had any trouble with their products and usually 9oz per fill up is easy to do.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While Im fixing stuff, is there a recommended amount of time that you should clean your EGR? Ive done mine a few times because it was dirty, but never had it on a scheduled cleaning.

brianjbeach85

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
nope, oil and fuel filter all i know of. EGR cleaning i am assuming you are talking about the valve? If so how hard is that to do? i was just reading about it and trying to decide if i wanted to give mine a shot.. since i have 104k on the clock now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14