Replacing needles bearings?

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced both sets of ball joints tonight and got to thinking that with over 260,00 miles, it might be time to rework those needle bearings inside the axle stubs. Anyone have any input on this? Should I just smear some new grease in there and call it good? They don't look bad and the seals are fine.
Also, does anyone know if it's normal to have the inner wheel bearings loose behind the rear seal? I can wiggle them about 1/4 inch or more.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was too but I had just done the drivers side last year and they are loose too. Wondering if I was given the wrong bearings. Cheap fix though so it's off to the parts house.

Are those needle bearings much to worry over? I'm thinking just smear some new grease in there and go on. ?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You may develop a vibration with the worn bearings, in four wheel drive. Smear the grease and try it out. It has to help somewhat.

Dave :)

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rarely use the 4wd being a diesel it's pretty heavy. Mainly use it to get out of a slick spot when the front ends starts to bog down.

Hoping I can find that axle seal in stock today, mine are toasted.

Thanks for the input.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that inner axle spindle seal looks like loads of fun to put on! Yuk!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In reading your descriptions I'm not sure if you're talking about the needle roller bearings that only support the rotational force of the axle shaft (#60) or if you're talking about the actual wheel bearings (#64) the wheel bearings you can't get to with the wheel on and when they are sitting inside the hub held on by the rear seal then yes there will be play.

Bearings%20and%20seals.jpg

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJS... from your drawing it looks like it would be #56. It seems like it was primarily a dust seal type of thing. What is #57 named?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't know what they are named properly I borrowed the diagram from the Dana 60 bible on pirate4x4.com. there are quite a few vendors on that board who will sell you complete seal kits and would be able to get you the right parts.

for that seal and bearing set it will only cause problems in 4wd at higher speeds though if you're going through mud it will allow some into the spindle where it can in theory travel along the axle stub-shaft to the lock out and have access to the wheel bearings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg