Replacing rear diff cover....

Scot

;()
Reaction score
My 06 is in the dealer for various issues. Since I'm having them swap the diffs/transfer case fluids & my rear cover is rusting bad, I asked that they replace the cover with the 08+ cover. I expected 70-80$ for the cover and a bit more for new bolts. They came back with $162 (stainless @13.50 ea) for bolts alone + $70-80 for the cover. While I appreciate something that won't corrode & stays shiny that seems excessive.

I know sponsors here charge 80$ish for the cover with bolts but I would rather have someone else do it. Has anyone let the dealer or another shop do this? and what did you pay????

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta cuss............. OH HELL NO!...........you're getting raped............Get up with Chuck Dupont @ gus johnson ford. $45 for the cover......Home Depot has stainless bolts for about $2 a piece. $ 70 total.....or you can get grade 8 bolts from lowes for $0.30 a pop. Don't give in....their dorking you man.

On edit: worse part about doing it is the smell. HAHAHA.............wear gloves. And don't forget your friction modifier. PM if you need a write up on doing it.

I don't mind people making $$, but dammmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

Fine69

Reaction score
You don't need friction modifier if you use Royal Purple. Their stickin it to ya there, do it yourself, its simple!

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea im with them...thats ridiculous...get the cover from a sponsor that comes with the bolts. its really not that hard of a job to do and id agree that the worst part of doing it is the smell...that stuff is just stinky!

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I dropped off some stainless bolts and washers at the dealer this morning. Still having them do the work though. It's getting a HPOP fitting and some other issues are being corrected. So as long as it's sitting there, they can play in the oil.

Parts were 1.50 for stainless bolts & .20 for stainless washers. I'm hoping pure stainless isn't too soft of a metal for when I need to remove them in another 100K.

I was a bit worried about the dealer cranking down and snapping a head off the stainless. Just looked it up and the spec is only 35 ft/pounds so that shouldn't be a problem, should it???

Last edited:

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they snap it ...they replace it...:D

Congrats man, I hate to see anyone ripped off! You pay to play yes, but get screwed $162 for 12 bolts? I don't think so! :clap:

That works out to $13.50 a bolt..........they CAT bolts? LOL

Scot

;()
Reaction score
ooooooooo aaaaahhhhhhhhhh! Me likey the shiny new cover with stainless bolts and washers!!!:D

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you. Love mine to. May even paint it black and sand the fins back shiny......still debating on that one. Bummer is I went looking today and Mcmaster-carr has the bolts 25 for 9 bux....arrgghhh!!!

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I saw those too. But they're just coated. Nothing beats stainless all the way through if you don't have to torque them down too much.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14