Reuse Hitch Bolts??

Silver_Crew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hitch has to be loosen up to mount some light brackets. So, I thought I would just take it off and paint it or have it powder coated while I'm at it.:D

Is it safe it reuse the bolts? What should they be torqued to? I looked in the shop manual for torque specs. I did not see anything on the truck hitch, just a mention of the hitch for the X.

Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Torque specs can be found by Google if you give the bolt size. Type "torque specs for bolt sizes" into google and see what you get.

Dave

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
They should be safe to re-use. As Dave mentioned, just Google for torque specs. If you feel uncomfortable with re-using the bolts remember to replace with the proper grade bolt. The hitch bolts are probably a grade 8 and most hardware stores stock grade 5 which is softer.

Silver_Crew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, will "google" for torque specs. and reuse bolts. Thought I would ask about reuse to see if someone knew something that I might not have heard.

Don't want the trailer passing the truck, specially with part the truck attached.:eek:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I would re-use the bolts. Unless the hitch has been loose and wore a grove in the side of the bolt, they should be fine. I usually use an impact and tighten the nuts untill they stop turning. That is a very fast method. I have never had a hitch fall off and I have never torqued the bolts. I understand that you want to be safe though.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a fastener point of view, they technically should only be used once. once torqued they will stretch, re-using them can stretch them past thier yeild point and cause a failure.

Now really what are new bolts going to run you? $10.00 at a fastener shop for the proper grade?

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a fastener point of view, they technically should only be used once. once torqued they will stretch, re-using them can stretch them past thier yeild point and cause a failure.

Now really what are new bolts going to run you? $10.00 at a fastener shop for the proper grade?[/QUOTE]

+1. "Proper grade" to me means Grade 8/Class 10.9.

Good luck.

Al

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now really what are new bolts going to run you? $10.00 at a fastener shop for the proper grade?

WHAT JOPES SEZ FER SHUR.

AND... You had the question. So If you re-use the old bolts, yul ALLWAYZ have the question... as yer drive'n down the road tow'n whatever you tow.

It's a "Warm'n Fuzzy", know'n you used NEW nuts, bolts & washers and re-torqued them to Spec when you tear down anything haveing to do with a Hitch set-up. One of the best things 10 or 20 bucks can buy: Peace of Mind.

A "Safety Sam" Quip: Once Torqued, Forever Tweaked. Should Never Be Torqued again.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14