Rev lights and up fitter switchs

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to use 1 of my up fitter switch's to run my reverse lights. They would be used as loading lights when I pull my goose neck. The trailer is all ready wired for reverse lights so all I would do is add 2 more off the neck of the trailer pointing back.

My question is, am I going to fry some thing in the computer if I try this or is it a typical reverse switch and nothing to worry about?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to use 1 of my up fitter switch's to run my reverse lights. They would be used as loading lights when I pull my goose neck. The trailer is all ready wired for reverse lights so all I would do is add 2 more off the neck of the trailer pointing back.

My question is, am I going to fry some thing in the computer if I try this or is it a typical reverse switch and nothing to worry about?

On the 7 pin connector on yer truck.. the center pin is for back-up lights, you could wire one of the up fitter switches to it. You'd have to run a fused wire.. to the back but...:dunno

Shouldn't have any effect on the PCM, as long as it's fused.

Joe

(sometimes that center pin is not even wired, from the factory)

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I know that the center pin is the reverse lights but how is it controlled. Is is main PCM, Trany PCM or an old style switch? The reason why is they would be really handy when people coming up behind won't dim their lights:sly! I don't want to find out the expensive way.

Another question is where in the cab is the wiring and what color is it?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I know that the center pin is the reverse lights but how is it controlled. Is is main PCM, Trany PCM or an old style switch? The reason why is they would be really handy when people coming up behind won't dim their lights:sly! I don't want to find out the expensive way.

Another question is where in the cab is the wiring and what color is it?

I don't like using Fords wiring, for the very issues/questions you mention.. so I cant say where the 12v comes from, or what color their wire is.:dunno

I simply ran a 20 amp fused, 10 ga wire from the Batt solenoid, to a switch in the Cab.. then back to the center pin. Then, via the pigtail, to the trailer junction box.. connected it to the trailer back-up light circuit.

My Back up lights are controlled by me.. key on key off. They Light Up the Night.

Ford.. and their (To light duty, IMO) wireing.. is not in my set-up.

Joe

Bigboytoys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that's good to hear. You've had no problem turning them on in any gears? I don't wana find out that it puts the truck into reverse at 60 mph!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that's good to hear. You've had no problem turning them on in any gears? I don't wana find out that it puts the truck into reverse at 60 mph!

Nope. Wired as I did it.. It's a lighting circuit that's completely independant of any of Fords wireing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14