Richards Revenge (aka biodiesel ate my HP fuel line)

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Just felt I had to blame Richard (hheynow) somehow:sly
Original high pressure fuel line, so really my fault for letting it go so long.

After a 2 1/2 hour road trip, I pulled into the parking garage by the Monterey Bay Aquarium and smelled biodiesel. Looked and saw a trail leading back home, and a puddle under the truck. Silly me, kept putting off upgrading the two original high pressure fuel lines and the bio ate one up. The fuel line was all gooey and broke apart in my hands. Was able to cut the fitting crimps off and re-use them with some 30R9 fuel injection line and clamps from NAPA auto parts, but I lost about 15 gallons of bio (sniff). Could have been worse tho, as I was running off a full 88 gallon transfer tank with no fuel gauge.

Last edited:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
OUCH! How long did you run high bio concentration on those hoses? Mine went gooey after only about 3 months of b100.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
OUCH! How long did you run high bio concentration on those hoses? Mine went gooey after only about 3 months of b100.

I ran B100 a few times a couple years ago, then Veg. Went to homebrewed B100 in December, so another 5 months, 22,000 miles, 1000ish gallons. I'm going to redo both hoses tonight if I can get by the hose shop. The other hose still looks ok, but I don't want to see how long it will last. I'll cut it open once it's off tho and report how it looks.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Heh heh

I never had any hose problems running bio till you did. (troublemaker...)
:D

I almost called you from Monterey to see if you could look up a hose shop for me on superpages, but then I found a phone book. Turns out there aren't any there, closest was Salinas. So I improvised...

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Is this something the 99+ 7.3's have to worry about too or just the OBS trucks?

OBS only.

The SD's fuel STOCK fuel system is all steel tubing and dead ends with no return lines. Only time to worry about it on a 99 and later is if you have modified the system. That's only with higher concentrations of biodiesel.

Joat...30R9? Is that a nitrile inner liner with rubber outter? From my understanding the 30R9 will eventually be degraded by B100. Under pressure the BD will permeate the hose and you will have a greasy mess again. Viton and teflon is all I use.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Joat...30R9? Is that a nitrile inner liner with rubber outter? From my understanding the 30R9 will eventually be degraded by B100. Under pressure the BD will permeate the hose and you will have a greasy mess again. Viton and teflon is all I use.

Rooster, Click my Dayco link. It's J30R9 and is bioD compatible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg