Road Trip Questions

CORNBOY

Cornboy
Reaction score
We are about to embark on a 4k road trip pulling our 32ft 5er. I already have a Banks six gun tuner, K&N filter, and an EGT gauge. I am looking at putting on a 4” exhaust, a trans temp gauge, and changing all fluids from the diff to the engine. I am looking for suggestions on the best bang for the buck. Is it worth it to go synthetic? I am also in the market for new tires. My final destination is Alaska so I need something that has and aggressive enough pattern to handle the snow and ice without wearing out in 30k miles. I am leaning towards the BF Goodrich All Terrains. Is there a comparable tire? Or should I just pay for the All Terrains? Thanks in advance for the help.:GRD

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i have 265/75R/16 BFG All Terrains

1st set = 53k
2nd set = 50k
3rd set = still on, should reach 50k shortly

a very good tire! :sweet

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I got 45K+ out of both of my last two sets of BFG's, good tires. I just put a new set of tires on and went with Yokohamas this time. Reports are good on these tires so far. I'll let you know in about 20 months.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
The trans guage - definitely good, easy to instally.

4" exhaust - will drop EGT's a bit, will definitely help while pulling the 5'er

Oil - Chevron Delo 400 (dino) or Schaeffer's synthetic have shown the best reults on an oil analysis from a place like www.blackstone-labs.com

K & N filter - no good. change this intake to the ford AIS, AFE- Stage II or the Tymar. Oil analysis has proven (high silicone levels) that the K & N filter system on these diesel engines tends to let larger dirt/dust particles through which is no good for the turbo & other parts. I have used K & N filters before on my Harley & other cars and they worked fine, but for the 7.3L diesel it is not the better choice. Oil analysis doesn't lie.

Consider a boost guage - the easiest of the three to install.

Rich

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the tires & pressure in the trailer tires...all the spare tires too...
and take some extra wheel bearings (for the trailer)

bigdiesel99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been using 285/75R16 Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's for the past 25,000 miles and have no complaints they wear good and have good off road qualities. synthetics are always better but the Dino oils Delo or Totello are also good if you keep them changed at the prescribed mileage, the Dino oil will deffinatly take a huge beating pulling a 5ver up the grades going to alaska. i personally use amsoil and when i put the severe duty gear oil in the Diffs the rear diff temp droped a good bit made me a believer for sure. :thumbs

CORNBOY

Cornboy
Reaction score

Oil - Chevron Delo 400 (dino) or Schaeffer's synthetic have shown the best reults on an oil analysis from a place like www.blackstone-labs.com

Consider a boost guage - the easiest of the three to install.

Rich

My Banks guage has a boost guage incorporated in it, so I've got that covered. Where can I find Schaeffer's synthetic oil? Is it sold at a particular parts store?

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
My Banks guage has a boost guage incorporated in it, so I've got that covered. Where can I find Schaeffer's synthetic oil? Is it sold at a particular parts store?

Here's Schaeffer's home page - there is a dealer locator tab on the top menu bar. If there is not one close to you send me a PM and I can help you out.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58