Rode in an '08 PSD today...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went by the dealer to ask when they would be getting an '08 in stock and the sales guy said they had one out on a test drive that would be coming back in 15 mins or so and I stuck around. When they got it back, they guy who was most likely going to be buying it drove, I rode shotgun, and the salesman in back went out for a ~40 mile test drive and here are my initial impressions:

1) In person, the grille isn't as offensive-looking as the pics I've seen, but I still don't care for that large expanse of chrome at the top of the grille.

2) That engine compartment is a crowded NIGHTMARE and, with cab-off repairs being the order of the day for any major work, this'll make things tough for the DIY guys. I could definitely see myself whacking my head on the grille since it's attached to the hood and not the front clip.

3) At idle, the 6.4 sounds like a gasser and on the interstate, at steady speed, it's dang-near silent. The wind noise at 75-80 mph is far louder than any engine or drivetrain noise.

4) Acceleration is alright, but not snap-your-head-back quick. My lightly modded 7.3 does just about as well as the 6.4 (by my butt-dyno measurements) from 60-80. I don't know about 0-60, but the twin turbo setup wasn't as impressive as I would have thought.

5) The new SD rides smoooooooth on the highway. You can still tell you're in a truck, but it's nicer than my '02 by a fair margin.

6) The interior setup is pretty slick. We were in a Lariat F350 LWB and it had the fake-wood and chrome trim on the dash. That I didn't care for, since the chrome trim aroudn the gauges/HVAC vents was too flashy in the sunlight and that was somewhat distracting, but otherwise the dash and controls were sensibly laid out and seemed like they'd be useful. It's still a little edgy for my taste (I like the nearly angle-free dash layout of my '02 much more) and I dont' care at all for the pushbutton-controlled HVAC (much prefer the knobs to control heat and AC since you can work them with gloves on) but the dual-zone climate control would be a nice feature.

7) The power telescope/power fold mirrors were NICE. The fisheye lens at the bottom of the mirror housing was larger than the '99-'07 SD and that will most likely be a genuinely useful feature.

8) I don't know how good of an idea that having the washer nozzles mounted to the hood and not the cowl will be. If the hood is covered with snow, I don't want to go dragging my brush or ice scraper over them to get them cleared off but since mine are on the cowl, who cares if a plastic part gets a little scratched up?

Pics to follow: I took them at high-resolution and have to downscale them a little so I can post them.

Last edited:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks--one more thing (not new news, really)--at $49K for a not-completely loaded F-350 Lariat, Ford is IMO dangerously close to pricing themselves out of the market. It was a nice truck for sure, but it was not 50% nicer than my '02/7.3 (about as much more than it cost vs. my truck) since, engine excluded, most of the major changes were cosmetic creature features.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
They're definitely nice up close but price taggy big.

A friend from OKC took some pics of a White over Pueblo Gold 08 F-450 KR yesterday,I added em to my vbpicgallery :sweet

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
john
if i go buy a new 450 do you get a % :D
49 for a lil larait,
the 250 lariat here is 50,
but that 450 bill posted pic of is only 55 for a kr and the pleasure of a 4.88 rear :sly
the abilty to pull four houses
WOW
thanks for the by the seat review, i bet we never hear or read a good review like that about the things most truck nuts feel are important. like glare and controls with gloves on, i am all the time screwing up the fan and temp when i wear gloves with the buttons on the wheel

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
My dealer has a white lariat 450 for 55,000. Base price was 50,000. Very nice truck. I would rather have a 350 srw. I don't know about other states, but Michigan dealers will be giving many incentives because no one is buying. I will not be surprised if the 450 I mentioned will sell for 50,000 by this spring.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i think with every new model that comes out, no matter what kinda of car/truck it is. there is a lot of excitement that comes with new design, features, and so on.

but i think the excitement of the new 08 superduties have worn off for me.

not really a whole lot has changed, new hood, headlights, and tailgate are about it for the exterior.

i really do like the interior tho. and as far as the new engine, only time will tell. but from what JV has mentioned about the ride he took, it doesnt sound like that big of a thrill to me.

i can see that my 2004 will remain in the family for along time.

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
Well it doesn't essentially have a twin turbo or aftermarket style compound turbo system, it has a sequential turbo system that works a little differently. There 's a small turbo and a large turbo. The smaller turbo is for off the line low end to mid range acceleration, because it will spool up faster. The larger begins to spool in the mid-range, and then handles the duties in the higher RPMs. That's why there's only a max of 40lbs of boost in the system, the 2 turbos only work together for a few seconds. Where as your aftermarket compound turbo systems always work together, producing way more boost. As I understand it anyway.

Last edited:

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
Oh and, I always have and still do think the new grille and headlights are hideous, besides that it's a decent truck. '05-'07 were the best yet.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks--one more thing (not new news, really)--at $49K for a not-completely loaded F-350 Lariat, Ford is IMO dangerously close to pricing themselves out of the market. It was a nice truck for sure, but it was not 50% nicer than my '02/7.3 (about as much more than it cost vs. my truck) since, engine excluded, most of the major changes were cosmetic creature features.

dont know that i can agree w/ you there...my truck (f350, lariat, crewcab,
4wd, long bed, srw) stickered in the mid 48k range...and that was in 2004.

to me that seems like a bargin and well worth it for the new (05) front
suspension, and electric telescopic/folding mirrors alone...the tailgate
step & (silly) pole are nice to haves too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58