Question rotella 5-40 synthetic for 100 degree tx summer?

gabalong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just put 14 quarts of rotella synthetic 5-40 in my 2007 powerstroke 6.0, it seems to be a little quieter while warming up than with the standard oil.

do any of you run this year around, or would you recommend something else in the 90 to 100 degree summers.

any comments appreciated.

also any comments about maybe running for 3500 miles and then changing the filter only and wait to about 7500 mile to replace the synthetic oil. or would that be a no no ?

sure enjoy reading the forum board.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I run this oil year round. I think you might have some misunderstanding about oil. The first number in the 5W40 is the cold oil performance weight and has nothing to do with hot temperatures. The second number in the above example is the hot performance weight and it is the same as "normal oil". If you care to do some great reading on oil, here is the link: Welcome

Dave

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes what Dave said you still have a 40 weight oil when running at temprature. You should be more than good running it 7500 miles. UOA will tell you how long you can go on the oil if you want to figure it out by using a lab to tell you instead of guessing.

You are throwing money out the window if you are going to change synthetic oil at 3500 miles. Its designed to run longer the only varible in that is the filter you use. That is why Amsoil guarantees extended oil changes using their oil & filter because that takes the variable out of the equation. You have a good oil in there you paid a good price for it so I say use it for its potential and get your moneys worth out of it. Filters are cheaper than an oil change so if you want to change the filter at 3500 and keep going to 7k or more then do it that way.

My 0.02.

Last edited:

gabalong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification

i thought that the 5-40 meant what you said but wanted to get second opinion.

what about the bypass filter, are many of you doing that and what is approx cost to get set up that way.

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought that the 5-40 meant what you said but wanted to get second opinion.

what about the bypass filter, are many of you doing that and what is approx cost to get set up that way.

Amsoil won't let me tell you my cost in open forums so I will pm you with that.

MJ

gabalong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
gabalong update on synthetic oil

Update, have not done a hard calculated mileage test yet, but i am convinced the engine is quieter (especially while not fully warmed up) and on the 15 mile commute seem to be seeing 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement according to computer read out. Very wind an speed dependent, but at 62 mph quite often will see 21 to 22 mpg

anyone else see improved mileage with the synthetic.

gabalong

Last edited:

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, have not done a hard calculated mileage test yet, but i am convinced the engine is quieter (especially while not fully warmed up) and on the 15 mile commute seem to be seeing 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement according to computer read out. Very wind an speed dependent, but at 62 mph quite often will see 21 to 22 mpg

anyone else see improved mileage with the synthetic.

gabalong

Its typical to see mpg improvments with a change to synthetics especially if you are changing the entire drive train over. With an engine change only it is typical to have approx 3-5% increase. At 5% that amounts to .5 mpg based on a 16 mpg prior to changing to synthetic. That would get you 24 more miles per tank on a 30 gal tank. In a year that would save you approx 74.00 based on 2.50 per gal fuel. MPG is not the reason to change to synthetic in my opinion. Its a benefit of the change to synthetic. The benfits and reasons to change to synthetic in my opinion are on a different level and will reap much more savings than just fuel mileage in the long haul.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58