Rotella Syn or Mobil 1?

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently using 5-40 rotella syn. Easily obtained from a wal-mart or TSCo. etc. So far I'm real happy with it. Easy starts, $17/gal, and truck runs quiet and MPG's are good. Wondering if there is any reason I should pay $23/gal for Mobil 1 5-40 Turbo Diesel oil?? Is that stuff supposed to be MUCH better?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I run Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 and wonder if there is any difference between it and the "Turbo Diesel Oil" or if it is just a marketing campaign. If you have been running rotella I would stick with rotella as it is a good oil and it is best to not switch around.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella 5w-40 synthetic is for the turbo diesels. I run the stuff too and love it. Availability at wally world and TSC and the fact that I have run Rotella for over 20 years with no problems is why I use it.

I even let Wally world change it for me...... Just grab 4 jugs and an oil filter and tell them you want an oil change and this is what you are putting in it. All they charge is $16 for the labor then. IIRC it's about $99 for the oil, a good filter and the labor when done.

I get a kick out of Walmarts mochanics, they get paid by the clock hour, not book hour, and they'll flat tell you they don't care how long a job takes them, usually have 3 working on my truck for an hour, 1 under it checking fluids etc, 1 on top checking fluids etc..... And 1 in the bed trying to figure out how the 5th wheel & goosneck combo work:dunno:lmao... have always done a good job for me and pointed out potential problems before they became a problem.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Rotella is a petroleum based hydro cracked oil and Delvac 1 is a true synthetic PAO oil. I spend the extra money on the Delvac. The hydro cracked oil is called synthetic because of a court case and a judge declared it to be so. It is a good oil and much better than a regular dyno oil but its not a PAO like Delvac, Royal Purple or Amsoil.
Jim

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella is a petroleum based hydro cracked oil and Delvac 1 is a true synthetic PAO oil. I spend the extra money on the Delvac. The hydro cracked oil is called synthetic because of a court case and a judge declared it to be so. It is a good oil and much better than a regular dyno oil but its not a PAO like Delvac, Royal Purple or Amsoil.
Jim

True... but the court case ruled in Castrol's favor because of the following:

1) Even if a dino oil is used... as long as the proces gets the oil to that of a synthetic spec, then it does not matter.

2) There are specific specs in how a synthetic oil should perform and purity... and if hydrocracking can get it there... then it can be rulled 100% synthetic oil.

3) Rotella-Syn 5W-40 starts out as a dino crude oil and the Mobil 5W-40 starts out like a test-tube baby... but they most end up the same way and perform the same way... that is why the court rejected Mobil's arguments in the case you reference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14