Rotella T6

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This HPOP oil change'n thing has been bantered about on here before.. Oil is pumped through that thing at some ungodly rate.. making it not worth the effort. And, with yer Oil Guard by-pass set-up.. even more so (?), as far as any contaminants are concerned ?

Full Synthetic oils don't break down.. leaving deposits (sludge) ?

One of those Personal Choice things I guess. :dunno

Joe

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I guess I really just wanted to see what the oil looked like with my own eyes. It really can't hurt to swap it out so I figured what the heck. I know the opinions swing widely from one side to the other on the whole topic. My Mity-Vac did a great job of getting it out. It was easy to do. Really no definitive results I guess but I was getting old, nasty looking oil out so at least that was good!

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Changed oil last night. Changed full flow filter out with an Oil Guard filter. Changed bypass filter also. Sucked out top end oil as described above. Drove it maybe 30 miles. Got home and sucked almost 3 qts. of black, very thin oil out. Continued to change it out with fresh oil. Dipstick is covered in fresh, clean oil. I understand it may take a bit to swap out ALL the oil in the top end but my question is how much oil is contained in the top end system? If it is circulated with the rest of the oil in the engine then why is the oil on the dipstick clean as new? I really don't care about spending $25 to $50 to swap it all out and now I'm getting more curious. I know for a fact the oil that continues to come out is nasty and very used. Any opinions. Don't tell me I'm an idiot for doing this. It's my cash. Just give me your opinion about the system operation. I'm a Maintenance Test Pilot in UH-60 Blackhawks and know how complex oil systems work but this is a little perplexing. Mod's feel free to move and rename if you think it will be better served somewhere else.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were some posts awhile back, about this, with some Very useful, definitive explanations on just how the HPOP operates. Design parameters, pressures, flow rates.. and where it is, in relation to the rest of lubrication system.

Maybe do a Search ?

Joe

OBTW ? THANK YOU.. for doing what you do.. in support of our H-60 programs.

Last edited:

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did a search and read for the last hour or so. Bob Riley's info was very good. However, if my oil in the crankcase and on the dipstick stays clean as new why is the oil in my HPOP reservoir still black and nasty. I agree that it will take a fair amount of oil to change out the oil in the top end and my new oil is getting black due to mixing with the old oil. However, if the reservoir is replenished as fast as I have read then why isn't the oil as clean as my cc oil and why isn't the cc oil a tad bit dirtier??? I have pulled over a gallon of nasty oil out of the HPOP. Is my HPOP blocked somewhere? Do I have a circulation issue? Now I'm starting to get more curious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58