rottela t oil

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know i,m going to open a can of worms up with what i have to say next. read another forum the other day where a deisel mech. told his customer that the rottela did not have enough anti foaming additive in the oil. i notice when i change frome mobile 10w-40 syn. oil my eng. seem to get more noiser than what it was before. the eng. got really nosier than before. well this time to saisfy my own opinon, i switch to castroll 15w-40 thats made for the 7.3, and lo and behold my eng. got quieter by the minute. so i ran it by my mech. and let him listen to it and he agreed with me that the eng was running alot quieter than it had been. went on a 2oo mile run and when i got back, it was running pretty darn quiet. this is the queitest this eng has run in a long time. so there u have it, i'm running castrol or ford mortorcraft oil in it from now on.:sweet. so all u gear heads out there have fun dicussing this. so don't come to blows, just have another cold one.:D thanks to all and have a good one!!!!!!

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I ever ran was Castrol 15w40 in my 7.3, I had zero oiling issues and also found that mine ran quieter than alot of other 7.3's in the area. Just my 2c...

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only prob i had wit Rotella wuz the nasty smell of the oil !!!

dpantazis

Reaction score
the rumor/hypothesis is that the anti-foam in rotella does not last as long as the other oils. same for dyno and syn blend rotella. its good for 3-5k.

but then again, its WAY cheaper than the best stuff.

unless you are willing to do oil analysis on something like scheaffers or mobil 1, then running rotella ar 3-5k intervals is cheap.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shell Rotella is all I run, year round/ It is widely availible and cheap.

Dpantazis - nice looking pup!!!

Butch Cassidy

X2.. and with additional (by-pass) filtration.. I run Rotella T.. 6 to 8 K. 140+K and counting: no issues.

Joe

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I ever ran was Castrol 15w40 in my 7.3, I had zero oiling issues and also found that mine ran quieter than alot of other 7.3's in the area. Just my 2c...

yea!!! i'm real happy with mine now since i've change over to castrol. i run castrol in my wife's mini van also. before i bought my deisel 3 or 4 yrs. ago i had a chev. 1/2 ton 4x4 p/u which is all i ever used in that trk. i've been a big fan of castrol oil several yrs. now. i figured when i open up the can of worms, i thought there would be an up rising over this. ha!ha! have another cold one and have a good one.:sweet:D

Last edited:

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
Well i will try Castrol on my next oil change. Ive been running shell rotella since i bought my 7.3L two years ago. No problems yet but it would be nice if the engine ran smoother/quieter. Any one know the price difference gallon to gallon?

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i will try Castrol on my next oil change. Ive been running shell rotella since i bought my 7.3L two years ago. No problems yet but it would be nice if the engine ran smoother/quieter. Any one know the price difference gallon to gallon?

not that much to get excited about it. mortorcraft 15w-40 also runs good in the 7.3, comes in 5 qt. containters at wally world. u will be please in the lower sound coming from the eng and it does a better job of lube the eng. remember, the 7.3 has 2 oil pumps instead of one.:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14