Rough Idle - Injectors, Harness, Or...?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tore into the rest of this last night.

I've got two bad pigtails going into the gasket (those buggers are hard to find -- ended up getting the repair kit from Ford, and pins (no wires) from IH.

I've got one bad gasket.

I've got one bad UVC harness that was burnt, and one that was bad because I broke the plastic retainer tab. :doh:

Going to try to get everything buttoned up tonight....

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ben enjoy the thrill of driving your truck when she's running right because it sounds like that's what you're going to have here shortly.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My worst fears have come true....

Got everything put back together, everything went in fine. BUT -- the problem is still there.

When it first started up, it sounded pretty good, but got worse from there.

What does the DMFW sound like when it's going out? I can hear a sound, kind of stumbles. (Can't describe it well). I'm wondering if the DMFW is having issues and is affecting the engine running (intermittent load on it). Then again, I'm not sure if I've got the DMFW or the single...

Just grasping for straws here....

Thanks, fellas

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DMFW is easily visually inspected. you should be able to pull the clutch cover and see the counter weights on the flywheel. Then you try to move the counter weights by hand and they should not move notably by hand.

I believe that's the general idea but I'm not 100% positive since I don't have a stick I haven't paid too much attention to the exact procedures.

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my truck into the mechanic...Turns out my rough idle was the CPS going bad.... All is well now.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still haven't closed my case yet by checking my clearance on the FW....

I had replaced the CPS a few months ago, so I went ahead & tried a new one (especially since I didn't have a spare -- yet), and it didn't work for me.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK..update...

I went and checked my flywheel.

Tell me if I'm looking at this right.

At the engine, there's a part of the flywheel, it's got some spring attached to it, and there's another piece that the pressure plate get's bolted into. I'm assuming that these are the two masses of the DMFW, right?

I can push it one way, with some tension, and from mthat point to the other lock, I get about 1.5" of play. Too much from what I've read.

I'm just making sure I'm looking at the right pieces.

Thanks, fellas

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ben,

That sounds right. If you're getting 1.5" of rotational play (measured at the outer rim of the masses), I'm surprised the thing is still intact! Looks like its time for a SMFW setup. I like my SBC Con-O, although you would have to deal with the gear rollover noise with the SMFW. Interestingly enough, the rollover noise is much worse with my new ZF factory-remanufactured tranny than it was with my old trashy one (maybe because everything is tighter). Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58