Rough Idle no power

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am driving down the interstate tonight and I'm cranking along doing about 80-90MPH for about 10 miles. I get off and then I pull into a store plaza and notice my truck's idle sounds a little different. It sounds like it is rattling more than a normal diesel. I get parked and I noticed the idle all of a sudden got really rough and sounded more like a cummins than a power stroke. I put it into park and the idle came up a little then I stepped on the pedal while in park and it was just dieing. So I turned it off and did my shopping.

When I got done shopping I remembered that my fuel gauge is broken and I knew what I get for MPG on average so I did the math. 579 miles since last fill average is usually 14.5MPG. That equates to 40 Gallons used. I have a 44 gallon tank so I figured I better get fuel. I make it about 2 miles up the road with it running like crap and having no power and sounding like it was rattling like a cummins. I get fuel and pull out of the station. It still sounds like crap and has no power for a good mile. Then I drop my friend off up the road. Pull away and everything was fine. It hasn't done it since. Could the fuel have been running low to cause that problem? What do you people think? Thanks for the help!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what happened. Do not run out of fuel, it is hard on injectors. They take a while to get the air out of them when you run out of fuel.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
sucking air, most likely..
might be a good candidate for the "Hutch" mod..

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone that is interested... I had this same issue get worse over the past 6 months and I ended up changing the intank sending unit... however, the intank sending unit wasn't what you would think it would have been. Check this out, it will boggle your mind.

UGH!!! Hutch mod issues in my X... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Also sorry I post in multiple forums.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg