Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48121
1-800-392-3673 (FORD)
(TDD for the hearing impaired:
1-800-232-5952)
Owner Support - Ford

If you need more information about getting service under the Federal Emissions Performance Warranty, or if you want to report what you believe to be violations of the terms of this warranty, you may contact (from Page 15 of warranty manual):

Manager, Certification and Compliance Division
(6405J)
Warranty Claims
Environmental Protection Agency
Ariel Rios building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20460

From the book:

Furthermore, (under emissions warranty), you will not be charged for labor, diagnosis, or parts for any emissions control device or system for 100k (ie no $100 deductible):

Air flow sensor
Air Fuel Feedback control System and sensors
Cold start enrichment system
Electronic engine control sensors and switches
EGR system
Exhaust manifold
Fuel Injection System Intercooler Assembly - Engine Charger
Power Train Control Module
Turbocharger Assembly

Also covered by the two emissions warranties (Emissions defect warranty and Emissions performance warranty):
All emisssions-related bulbs, hoses, brackets, tubes, gaskets, seals, belts, connectors, non-diesel fuel lines and wiring harnesses that are used with components on the list above.

The line item in bold includes the FICM. It is not uncommon for dealerships to try to get this deductible money. Some have had Ford re-imburse them after-the-fact.

Last edited:

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the dealer, told them what is said in the warranty booklet I have that came with the truck.

They called back and said i was right and they now owed me the 100 bucks.

I wonder how many people get screwed by that?

When I asked about that when I picked up the truck with the new FCIM they said that was not a emmissions component.

maybe it was a honest mistake but thanks to the guys here I now know

merry xmas, happy new year

usctrack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How long does this flash take to correct the cold start and rough idle? Mine started it last winter and is doing it again. I just havent had to take it in for anything and when its warm I forget all about it.

Thanks

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the damage to the spool valves is permanent and the new flash does not help at all. Each case is different. The best answer is that the health of your injectors can be maintained by ALL of the following:

- proper fuel quailty (and proper oil and fuel filter maintenance)
- proper fuel pressure (always needs to be between 45 psig and 75 psig)
- battery health (proper voltage for the FICM)
- Newest flash (proper FICM programming)
- Clean oil of the proper viscosity for the ambient temperatures
- fully functional FICM (they are prone to issues w/ the DC-DC converter board, + a few other issues)

10W30 and 5W40 (be sure you get CI4 or CJ4 rated oil) are better for injector operation in cold weather. Oil additives like RevX have a lot of testimonies about helping w/ cold start issues.

ynnad40

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same issues with the cold starts and chugging engine until it warms up. They tried to re-flash my truck and it did not fix it. They kept it overnight to start it in the AM when it would be coldest. If you have it re-flashed it should take right away if it works. Unfortunately for me it was the FICM. $715 just for the FICM. After replacing the FICM it runs great again.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
FICMs are one of the problems that goes with the 6.0 engine, as time goes on. Initially Ford had a soldering problem with these and I am hoping that have corrected it by now. My FICM started to act funny and then it quit on me. Hard cold starting is the first clue.

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58