Rough Idle

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what does one make of this. My truck (march 27 03) has had rough idle while warm, does not do it while the oil pressure is up(cold) but does it while warm (under 20 psi). The idle fluctuates up to 75 rpm sometimes and I can feel the vibration in my foot while stopped(auto). I can also hear the "pulsing vibration".

Has had all the reflashes, none helped the goofy Vibration at idle.

All injectors are even and within the spec.

New turbo didn't help.

Bone stock, runs well while driving.

Had it in 3 or 4 times...............nothing is wrong, I say bull.

Used Motorcraft, 10w30, 15w40, Texaco 15w40, Amsoil ,15w40, Royal Purple 15w40.... all CI4++ but no change.

Change fuel filters, at or before interval, have 68,000 km on truck
Use stanadyne, and other conditioners to see, and fuel at different stations as well.

No oil leaks (orings, they have been fixed)

Mechanic says no to egr or ebp.

Unplugged egr myself to see.........no difference.

:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

Something is wrong but the super computer says no. :roflmao

:thanks Jon:burnit

Green '03

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine's a March, '03 build. I was plagued with these symptoms since it was new. Although it didn't do it when it had the original factory Ford oil in it. I tried all kinds of different oils, experimented with different oil levels, etc.

Mobil Truck & SUV finally fixed it for me, however I did have an injector go last July and finally got it reflashed. The reflash fixed any rumblings and reverse gear hesitation......but of course it neutered my tow/haul and got rid of my pilot injection. I would've rather not had the reflash done. But I plan on fixing most all of this with my new SCT in a couple weeks!

I'm surprised a reflash didn't fix your problem. But I would continue to experiment with different oils.....the Mobil 1 fixed it for me and I've been very pleased with the oil and it's price at Walmart.

Now that I think about this, they also replaced my FICM. Now, looking back, I don't know if the FICM was faulty from the get-go? How about trying another dealer for a second opinion?

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
A lot of these trucks run like that. You'll pound your head into the wall trying to find the problem...partly because it's a design flaw. Just like the turbo's and the injectors. chances are it'll never idle just right. One day it'll seem OK the next it'll idle like a heavy cammed big block. My fluctuates too at times. Seems to do better at warmer oil temps though. Occasionally she'll run rough even when warm. It depends on the day. :dunno Look at this thread:Poke Me

Last edited:

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bb....bbb.....bbbbb......bbbbbbb......beater

Thanks guys,

I guess it can idle like sh.t, as long as it doesn't stall, I guess I'm ok.

And I thought my better half was nutty and sometimes doesn't idle quite right.

They say that is the nature of the beast???

Well this week I'm stuffing a bottle of Primrose oil down her maybe that will quiet things down.............(my wife too, I told her it was vitamin C):burnit :D

As far as I'm concerned now, a programmer is the way to go, albeit I don't have one.

I had a thought the other day....

Will a 6.0 fit in a Miata? Chipped of course, dual exhaust:thumbs

Green '03

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think maybe a Miata will fit in a 6.0!!!

Good luck with your idle, I would suggest trying different oils.

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
primose oil

Primose oil is natural pms medicine for women, works on some, not all, cheap insurance for a nice home environment.:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14