run dry. best way to crank?

strokinredneck48

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i've had several injectors go out lately, so today i dropped the tank and cleaned it out. had tons of rust from a buddy's diesel tank. but put some diesel back in it and took off down the road, musta sucked in some air from the now empty fuel lines. anywhoo ran out and could not crank it back up. kept tryin and tryin. took a rag with some gas to the air intake to try to crank it to no avail. now i'm stuck. dont wanna use too much gas. dont wanna use ether either. any ideas?

Cowboyboots

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what truck do you have? if it is a 7.3, thats what i own, dump your fuel bowl and remove your water seperator/filter. then turn the key to the ignition position, run back to the front and see if the fuel bowl is filling, if it is turn the key off and put the water seperator back in, then just cycle your key a few times, lets the fuel bowl fill. if the fuel bowl does not drain i would check your fuel pump. hope this helps

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
We have no idea what you drive, so helping you at this point is most difficult. Fill out your signature by going to USER CP in the Blue Line above. Tell us what you drive and where you live.

Dave :)

strokinredneck48

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
oh yeah sorry. its a 99 7.3l with 275k on it. the thing is though is that when it died on me i took the filter off and turned the key, and nothin happened, i could hear the fuel pump. maybe it was tryin to push the air out of the lines? its not the first time i've taken he tank off. never had this problem before:dunno:dunno:dunno

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
backwards shopvac on the fuel door. make a seal on the filler with a rag. make sure feul bowl is open and KOEO.

good luck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could hear the fuel pump. maybe it was tryin to push the air out of the lines? its not the first time i've taken he tank off. never had this problem before:dunno:dunno:dunno

**Thats where the backwards Shopvac comes in.

backwards shopvac on the fuel door. make a seal on the filler with a rag. make sure feul bowl is open and KOEO.

Key on but don't try to start it.. run the fuel pump & shopvac til you see a good stream of fuel, with No bubbles, coming out of the fuel bowl drain.

Shut the key, shopvac and drain valve Off.

Try to start it. If it starts.. it may run like crapola for a few.. but it'll clear itself. May take 25+ miles to get All the air out.

Joe

It's best to have a 1/2 tank, or better, in the tank.

strokinredneck48

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
turns out it was the fuel pump. when i drained the tank i had to drive to my brother in laws. so apparently i sucked up the last of the trash in my tank. cranked up and ran down the road afterwards, just not that far. musta been goin out for awhile or it got enough trash to really mess it up. all thats left now is to change more injectors. got another two out atleast. thanks for all the help:hail:notworthy;tu

strokinredneck48

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well i'm probably gonna get a new one in a few months. don't wanna waste the money. and sorry guys i'm gonna be a traitor and get a cummins. had my eye on one for awhile:innocent

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14