Running bad!

Dyoung14

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Im a member of FTE OBN and PSN have been for years revently got invited here by 94f450sd he told me i could get more help here,

Ok i have a late 94 f350 cab and chassis with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel and it runs ruff to say the least, it misses at idle shakes the truck, when its cold it real bad going down the road it vibrates and has almost no power till the engine gets warm once the engine gets warm it starts running better dont miss as bad and has decent power, if its setting and idling and i put my foot on the floor it will rev clean till around 2300 rpm then it starts missing bad and pouring bluish white smoke out after around 3000 it clears up and stops missing and runs clean till the rev limiter, never throws A CEL

Since i have had it i have changed the passenger side valve cover gasket external plugs and the UVCH because it had burnt wires, also replaced the CPS, and the fuel filter, and disbled the EBPV, then i have run countless buzz test and cylinder contribution test and pulled the codes countless times, heres the weird part, sometimes it passes the BUZZ test BUT i can always here that i have a few injectors that dont sound right??? but sometimes it does pass the test, except i can still here that the cylinders dont sound right, it always passes the cylinder contribution test, but clearly i can rell its not running right:rant:dunno

i have also taken the plug off at the IDM and OHM all the wires there, all the wires for the injectors brought back 3.2, all the other ones brought back OL like they were supose to, so then i took my idm off and put it on my buddys truck, his still ran perfect, so im at loss here, please help me get my psd running right so i can actually enjoy this thing

Sorry for the huge post:sorry

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you've already done a good bit of the diagnosis already. Given that you get sporadic buzz test failures and that your ears tell you that there is a difference I'm going to say that you have failing injectors.

A "tuned" operator is far better at sensing problems than the electronics. Electronics work well in determining when they are completely failed or well outside the operating margin.

How many miles are on the truck & injector?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything Dustin said.. and: With the different results after your testing (?), maybe some AIR in the fuel ?

Dyoung14

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Truck has 232,000 miles on it

I noticed while i was under the passenger valve cover that most of the injectors if not all are re-manAA codes, not sure on how many miles are on the re-mans:confused:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
welcome.glad to see you made it.:sweet anyways i been thinkin about this.im kinda wondering if you may have a few loose armature screws.under the solenoids on the injectors there is an armature plate that has 1 screw in the center of it.i have heard of these coming loose.i know its a wierd torx type screw but dont remember the size.

Dyoung14

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
welcome.glad to see you made it.:sweet anyways i been thinkin about this.im kinda wondering if you may have a few loose armature screws.under the solenoids on the injectors there is an armature plate that has 1 screw in the center of it.i have heard of these coming loose.i know its a wierd torx type screw but dont remember the size.

I pull the solenoids off of 3 injectors, and felt of the plates, i dont thing they are loose but i dont know how tight they are supose to be:dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the vc's and check the armature clearance.

pull the solenoid (4 # torx 15 screws), remove the harness to that inj, remove the little aluminum spacer plate...

what you are now looking at is the armature plate...the little ~1"x1" square plate, with the goofy screw (poppet screw) going through it's center.

On a brand new injector, there should typically be .003"-.004" (three to four thousandths of an inch) gap under that armature (measured with a feeler gauge)...

Dyoung14

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
pull the vc's and check the armature clearance.

pull the solenoid (4 # torx 15 screws), remove the harness to that inj, remove the little aluminum spacer plate...

what you are now looking at is the armature plate...the little ~1"x1" square plate, with the goofy screw (poppet screw) going through it's center.

On a brand new injector, there should typically be .003"-.004" (three to four thousandths of an inch) gap under that armature (measured with a feeler gauge)...

Akright so what do i tighten the screw with if they are loose? also would anyone happen to have and bolts that hold the solenoids on? i need some bolts mine are bad also anyone wouldnt hava extra solenoid would ya?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58