Running Cold?!

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is something I noticed with my '96. Even when it was up near 100 this summer, the truck runs extremely cold. On the dash gauge the needle barely gets up to the start of the "Normal" line. Then this summer it would get closer to the "N" in normal.

Does anyone have some insight on this?

This winter maybe I should block off some of the grille so it will warm up.

97PowerSmokerIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You either have a Great innercooler or your t-stats Stuck open if you turn your heater on does it blow out Hot air or cool?, if it blows out hot air you could possibly have a bad sensor or probe but if its cool your thermostats not closing, I run my 79 Bronco w/o a thermostat in it and it never gets above the "N" in normal.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It has one, but it may be defective. Do not run without a thermostat. You can get a 203* thermostat if you want to make sure your truck is warm enough.

Dave

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
You either have a Great innercooler or your t-stats Stuck open if you turn your heater on does it blow out Hot air or cool?, if it blows out hot air you could possibly have a bad sensor or probe but if its cool your thermostats not closing, I run my 79 Bronco w/o a thermostat in it and it never gets above the "N" in normal.

You're bronco should be fine, but on certain applications you will overheat without one, the water doesn't flow slow enough for adequate heat transfer to take place. I had this happen on a toyota engine once, didn't have a t-stat, but found a washer that fit in place of it to restrict flow a little, never overheated again.....

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update....well, I got to test the heater this morning (WUU HOO, I love cold weather!) and man that thing blows HOT air. It feels like it would burn ya. SO, that means my Tstat is working fine.:sweet So, I guess the sensor is a little weak. Oh well, I will probably just ignore it for now.

97PowerSmokerIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry forgot to mention my 79 bronco isnt used for street application its used off road in the summer and like was said i had a washer in place to restrict flow a bit, had some problems with the vaccum system so i eliminated 90% of the old junk system so i just ditched the heater t-stat and all the needless stuff.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Just an FYI.......... the dash water temp gauge on the PSD is completely unreliable. Its nothing more than an idiot light with a needle.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Only when you get a real water gauge will you know the real coolant temp. I'm at N. I'm at O. I'm at R. When I read these statements I laugh. With my 203*F t-stat I'm at 200-204*F when fully hot. The dummy dash needle decides where it hovers. When my coolant rose to 220*F last summer was I at A or L? Nope M.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14