Running RV deep cycle battery in f-350.

entropyjones

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 F-350 super duty. One of the batteries in the truck died. The one on the drivers side if it matters. The truck will still crank and runs fine. Although once it didn't since that battery died and I had to jump the truck to get it going again. But that was a month ago and no problems since then.

I was wondering if I can replace this battery with an interstate, SRM-27 deep cycle battery. It says for marine and RV. I don't need it as an RV battery anymore and I'd like to save myself some money and put this thing in my truck.

Any thoughts? Is this stupid? :doh:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is generally considered good practice to change the batteries both at the same time with the same battery type. What you really is one battery, in two places. The right side has the right half of the battery and the left side has the left half. If you don't change them at the same time and with the same battery type, one battery will do most of the work and go bad very soon, and the other will tag along. I realize money is tight and you don't want to spend any more than is necessary. You had better dig some more for he cost of two batteries.

Dave :)

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a Stupid question, but what Dave sez is VERY, VERY true.

These PSD's need Strong, Clean voltage & amps, from a pair of batteries of the same brand*, type and group.. if not.. yer asking for All Kinds of troubles.

Joe

*preferably, with the same Build date.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Also deep cycle batteries cant give off the needed quick high voltage that this giant starter needs. Deep cycle batteries are designed to let of electricity slowly and for a longer period. Using a deep cycle to start these trucks will kill the plates in them, and might not get the motor spinning fast enough for it to start.

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
Gotta concur with Dave. Just a plain good practice to replace both at the same time. Just replaced both of mine back in March.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Bad batteries make for some weird and unexpected juju in these trucks. In my case it made the speedometer read 30 miles per hour even when it was standing still. A battery test indicated the right side battery was toast. Replaced both original batteries at four and a half years, the speedometer error cleared right up once the new batteries were installed. The dealer couldn't figure it out either, but these trucks need clean, steady power from the batteries. In this case it saved me nearly a grand for a new instrument panel. The Motorcraft batteries weren't cheap, but they do the job.

entropyjones

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and replaced both batteries. 200 bucks at wallmart. Ouch. But now I got plenty of juice for the 1700 mile trip I'm starting today.

BTW.. Rray, by bad juju could it possibly have something to do with why my AC will cut out on really hot days? The fan keeps running but it doesn't blow out cold air anymore. I got a refill kit and charged it 54 lbs which was 1 lb less than the temperature of the day warranted. It was only down to 51 or so when I charged it but to get it those 3 extra lbs cost most of the can. I didn't want to risk overfilling it so I figured 1 lb under would be good enough.

I dont think I have a leak in the ac system. There has never been a time when the AC did not work. It just got to where it doesn't work really good on hot days.

odellrivera

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Battery

Need details regarding the capacity , voltage and rating supported by SRM-27. Thanks in advance.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
No. Do not use a marine battery in these trucks.
Marine/RV batteries are designed to supply low current at steady voltage for a sustained period of time.
Auto/LT batteries are designed to give a large, high-current burst for a few seconds.

In other words, it ain't gonna be skippy for your electrical system.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Do not use a marine battery in these trucks.
Marine/RV batteries are designed to supply low current at steady voltage for a sustained period of time.
Auto/LT batteries are designed to give a large, high-current burst for a few seconds.

In other words, it ain't gonna be skippy for your electrical system.

My take on it too.. so X2.

I ran a pair for awhile a few years ago, wasn't happy with the CCA's (burst) for starting. They're in my Boat now.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58