Rust repair panels

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have rust around my wheel wells and its substantial enought that i think it should be cut out and replaced. Problem is i cant seem to find any panels. Any one know where i could locate them for the rear wheel wheels for a 2004 f 350 reg cab?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure about wheel well replacement panels but when I had my 2000 F-350 I had a minor wreck within the first month of ownership, I was towing a trailer over the Continental Divide and it went from clear pavement to ice on the top of a hill. I was doing about 65MPH and started sliding sideways. while attempting to correct the slide, the trailer I was towing slid around and smacked my bed exact center in the wheel well. Left a nice big crease in the quarter panel. I figured they would just straighten it but the Ford dealership informed me that it was cheaper to replace an entire bedside quarter panel than it was to straighten it or cut and graft a piece in. The damage wasn't the bad at all so I was surprised they replaced it. If you thing about it though all they have to do is cut the spot welds and weld it back on and your done. A lot less time on bodywork.
Check out an entire replacement panel.

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I drilled out all of the all of the old spot welds for the "inner wheel wells" they were in bad shape. The rust that is on the outside of the truck box over the wheels should be able to be cut out and replaced with a few small patches. (like 2''x2") and coverd up with a set of Bushwacker fender flares i bought. So all i realy need is the "inner wheel wells" I havent found anything yet and i'm thinking about going to the dealer, but i try to avoid that like the clap.

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I ordered the the replacement panels today. Thanks for your help! Now i hope i can but this mess all back together!:stir

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
please dont take this the wrong way.but im gonna assume that you know how to weld?and that you know you cant do one continuos stitch weld without warpin the crap out of the panel?take your time to trim everything nice.place the replacement panel on the bed and center it so its where it should be.use a couple self tapping screws to hold it in place.npw make a trace line around the edges where you need to cut your bed.now remove the panel and trim it all back to about 1 inch before the lines.grind it all up nice and clean.put the panel back on with the zip screws.you may need to add a couple screws here and there to make it all lay flat against your bed.short 1/2-1" stitches and keep moving around till its done.it takes some time but worth it when you dont have major warpage to deal with when its done.

weld through primer is a good idea as well.if youve never used it before it is a primer that you spray on both panels where they touch and are welded together.helps stop rust from forming between the lips.seam seal as much of the weld seam from behind as you can reach.they have some good rust inhibitor that you spray on real thick and it will run itnto any open spots where rust can form.use self etching primer on the bare metal before doing any body work.use the good body filler,not that bondo crap from walmart and parts stores.use urethane primer after youre done with the body work.if you were closer to me id help you out.but any questions feel free to PM me if these guys cant help you.better off to ask before doing and take a chance on screwing it up :sweet

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am very capable of welding. As i am a welder. What i am not is a body work man. So after removing the inner fenders wells and wire wheeling all of the surface rust off of the inside of the quarter panel i have decided that the remaining metal is to thin to patch and a bigger area needs to be replaced than what i original thought. My good friend has a body shop and I had him order me new quarter panels from LMC (they just started carrying them) and i'm gonna do all of the prep work and let his body guy do the tricky stuf.

Anyway my buddy told me to dring it in on a Saturday and his guy will do it as "side work" and i wont have to pay shop rate. Hopefully it will be soon. I know this weekend they are taking some of their work to a car show.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58