Rusty, leaky oil pan fix!! Interesting!!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Looks like alot of work but hey if it works it works and could save some bucks in the end :sweet

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Looks like alot of work but hey if it works it works and could save some bucks in the end :sweet

Heck, even if it worked only for a few years, it'd be worth it. But it looks like a longer lasting fix than just temporary. If the adhesive sealant they are using is about what I think it is, just slobbing the stuff all over the oil pan would be a decent temp fix. But with the fiberglass(?) shell, it looks like it would last for a long time.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curiosity question

Could you make a piece to cover the front part of the pan? Or is there no room to squeeze it through?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Can you remove the oil pan no prob with the motor still in the truck?? I think I would rather just spend the money and buy a new pan and paint it really good IF the old pan doesnt already have pin holes in it. My oil pan is rusted really bad on my 77 F250 4x4. It actually leaks from pin holes. I JB welded over it which lasted a few yrs but its seeping again. Luckily I can take the pan off in the truck. Now my 84 Ford 4x4 van, motor has to come out! I hate workin on vans damn it!

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
On the truck, the engine has to be removed. $1800-$2000 job. A few have figured out how to get the pan off without removing the engine but its a big job.
Jim

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's an awesome idea but what about if the adhesive he is using or metal duct tape gets into the oil?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I think it's an awesome idea but what about if the adhesive he is using or metal duct tape gets into the oil?

The adhesive they are using looks to be very similar to stuff we use on the jets at work. It sets up to a hard ruber-like consistancy that is pretty resistant to lubricants and hydraulic fluid.

The metal tape adhesive won't be a problem. It is pretty much just covering a pin hole sized leak. It just serves to keep oil separate from the adhesive before it has a chance to cure. Only after it cures does it obtain its resistance to oil and hydraulic fluids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg