S&B intake?

muddinmike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
anybody run one of these? from their flow specs it looks every bit of good as the AFE stage 2 for half the price. or should i just go with a big azz filter from napa?

thoughts?

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a volant intake system works great with nice flow. Heres a few pics notice the ram air intake tube that runs beside the batt. to the front, plus it pulls air in from the drivers side fender hole.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like S&B intakes are really takin off...seem them alot !!!

danman

way up here
Reaction score
I have used my S&B intake for over a year now and Im quite happy with it. The Napa filter would definatly be cheaper, but drawing in hot air from under the hood doesnt make any sence to me, thats why the OEM and aftermarket ones are enclosed arent they? I also purchased a extra filter so that I could change out the dirty one in a few minutes and clean the other one when I have more time.

farmboy99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ive heard from people that they do the same as an afe stage 2 and there half the price

dmd

Reaction score
Use the NAPA one.. Has better filtering and as good or better flow (isnt that
what you want from a filter?)

Do not use the oil/gauze type filters (K&N and the rest) they let way to much dirt through. You can verify it on the K&N page, they really try to hide it, but the
filtering can be as bad as 96% efficient... Paper is right at 99%, so oil/gauze
lets 4X the dirt through. There have been multiple people that have dusted their engines
with the oil/gauze filters.

As far as the claim that the NAPA filter draws hot air, well that has been debunked
many times with a simple air probe. The under hood air temp when driving is only
about 10-deg hotter than the outside air. Also, the turbo compresses and heats the
air just by itself. Cooling the air is the job or the intercooler. After the
intercooler the difference in the air to the engine is about 1-deg from all the
rest of the filters. Not enough to matter.

So the other filters cost more, filter less. NAPA filters better, costs much less..

Your decision.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Great post dmd! You have stated, very well, what I have been trying to say for years.

Dave :thumbs

dmd

Reaction score
Ohhh man this is funny....

Went to the sites of the filter makers K&N and S&B... At least K&N is honest about the
whole situation. From their site:

"As has become customary in the automotive industry, we use Coarse Test Dust for gasoline
engine air filters and Fine Test Dust for diesel engine air filters. This practice of using different
grades of test dust developed because Diesel engines require higher levels of filtration because
they operate at much higher compression and require finer tolerances than Gasoline engines. "
K&N Air Filter Efficiency Testing

OK, so they test with the correct dust and they say so. The results can be as bad as
96% efficient and they say so....

NOW.... go to the S&B site....

They say that they are 99.47% efficient, and stock is 99.82%(paper filter).... Well take
a look at how they are testing... "PTI ISO Course Test Dust was utilized "... Yep that
is right, they test with COURSE DUST. They are less efficient than stock even when
tested with a dust that is the wrong makeup for a diesel.
http://www.sbfilters.com/pdf/iso_5011_2927_ISO 5011 Test Results for 75-5028.pdf

Wonder how bad it would be is they used the correct dust? I would think it would
be as bad as K&N...

Now these filters have a place, and it is in the racing world where the engine only
has to last to the end of the race. You do not care if the engine is wasted at the
end of the race, you just need to get there to win.... Gonna risk that $10,000 diesel
on a oil/gauze filter to race to the store and get beer?? Not me...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14