Safe trans temp?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the trans temp you would want to start easing up on to be safe? I'm fixing to pull for the first time after I've rebuilt the transmission. First time I pulled (with the chip) I had it on the 50 and 75 tune pulling my 5th wheel at 75mph. With the rebuild I got a billet tc, which the stock tc was the main cause for the rebuild.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know how large your fifth wheel is, but there is no way I would tow mine 75 MPH for very long at a time. First off trailer tires are not rated for that kind of speed, also wheel bearings do get hot when running that fast for a long time. Fifth wheels look funny when the top of them starts to peel back. LOL

Doug

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
general rule of thumb is 180° is time to back off unless you are climbing a hill and know you're generating alot of heat then you can bump it to the 200-210° range though you're shortening the fluid life.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know how large your fifth wheel is, but there is no way I would tow mine 75 MPH for very long at a time. First off trailer tires are not rated for that kind of speed, also wheel bearings do get hot when running that fast for a long time. Fifth wheels look funny when the top of them starts to peel back. LOL

Doug

:lmao:lmao....yep. On the way home with the trailer (it's a 36') I blew one tire. And the vinyl around the hitch, the exterior of the bed room floor, started to get pulled back from the wind.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Somewhere south of the 200 mark..........this is a bad example. :confused:

Tbar

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the best trans fluid to use? I've something about purple fluid:dunno Where do you get it at?

I've seen my trans tamp havering above the 140...maybe 150 mark on some 100 degree days. I'd like to get the 6.0 cooler installed

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
140-150? Id keep the temps right there. I'm looking for another post I read. These things are designed to run at SOME temp, I want to say in the 160-180 range just for the internals to function properly. Running it TO cool will have an adverse affect also IIRC.

I'll post up the link when/if i can find it.

I'm in SC and see the same summer temps you see basically. Those temps you have? I wouldn't sweat it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58