same egt question diffrent conditions.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know you dont want to be at 1200 for to long or the motor will melt. However I put my temp prob in after the turbo so I need to stay off of 800. OK no prob, however Im at 65mpr air on and its right there at 800. all else seems fine. Its running about 4psi, trans temp is 80 above ambient outside temp, and the idiot gauge on the dash board for the coolant says Im exactly where it always is.

So I have to go under 60 with air on or at 60 with the air off to keep it down at 650 to 700. WTF Im towing a 20ft enclosed with 6K load total and I have a 4" turbo back with a glass pack style muffler (ebpv or someone like that). at least my mpg are up around 12.

Is this normal? or should I be worried about something, also I lost to a honda the other day........ not cool man... not cool:rant

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know you dont want to be at 1200 for to long or the motor will melt. However I put my temp prob in after the turbo so I need to stay off of 800. OK no prob, however Im at 65mpr air on and its right there at 800. all else seems fine. Its running about 4psi, trans temp is 80 above ambient outside temp, and the idiot gauge on the dash board for the coolant says Im exactly where it always is.

So I have to go under 60 with air on or at 60 with the air off to keep it down at 650 to 700. WTF Im towing a 20ft enclosed with 6K load total and I have a 4" turbo back with a glass pack style muffler (ebpv or someone like that). at least my mpg are up around 12.

Is this normal? or should I be worried about something, also I lost to a honda the other day........ not cool man... not cool:rant

FWIW ? IMO ? JMO ?..Not To Worry.

I've pulled our 12K 5r all over the country for 160,000 miles @ 1800 (ish) RPM, 7~800 degrees..Post Turbo. I cruise at 60~62 MPH, air on, cruise on... and just let'em roll.

Overpasses.. it'll climb to 8~850, pulling grades, closer to 900.. maybe a little more, depending on ambient temps. Soon as he starts to labor.. down shift to keep the R's above 2200... for the pull.

1800 RPM, yer operating on Torque.. 2400 RPM yer make'n Horsepower.... Keep it in that range... thats always been my take on it.

:dunno

Joe

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
cool. However your pulling 12K and I am at 6K. I would expect to see much much lower egts. no?

Is it really the height of the trailer?? I used to pull a flat bed overloaded at 80mpr all day with no problems at all. would buying a topper and then maybe a spoiler help bring me up to 70mpr?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool. However your pulling 12K and I am at 6K. I would expect to see much much lower egts. no?

Is it really the height of the trailer?? I used to pull a flat bed overloaded at 80mpr all day with no problems at all. would buying a topper and then maybe a spoiler help bring me up to 70mpr?

Aero factors can have allot to do with EGTs. Tire size, rear-end gearing, auto versus manual, Chip/Programmer setting.. but I think yer still okay.

JMO but, i think the Jury is still out, on Toppers & Spoilers. Toppers (?) Maybe. :dunno

All the engine Mods I've done, were done with towing in mind. The ones that are air, fuel flow, HPOP pressure related.. gave me good results... Towing.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58