SCA additive

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
When my radiator got flushed the dope only put in 3 gallons of antifreeze (even though I told him it needed 4) and no SCA stuff. I have added 1 pint (5 units). Yesterday I bought some test strips I plan to use this weekend to check. I bought one more bottle of DCA4 at the same time and the guy told me I need 2 units per gallon of total fluid = 16 units.

Is that correct? I had been under the impression it was 2 units per gallon of coolant. Bottle is sitting in garage ready to be added if I really need 16 units.

Thanks!

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I thought of that but at $3 a test strip I dont want to spend that much just to figure it out by trial and error. I called the Ford service idiot near me and he said 10 units total. So now I have two conflicting answers. One Ford and one International. Wish someone knew for certain what they were talking about. I'll probably just add the entire second bottle for 10 units in 8 gallons and then test.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Read Here

I have 4 btls of that stuff that is looking for a home...........@ 1/2 price.

Tbar

Last edited:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Thanks Tbar! That is the best description I have seen yet. Damn! That means 4.8 bottles for my 32 quart system. At $8 each that is some extra change. I now have 2 bottles in. I plan to test Saturday just for a reference point and do the math again.

Thank you very much!!

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Filler up.

Pour in 4 gallons of gold antifreeze. Top off with distilled water. I just barely got the 20th gallon of distilled water open when mine was full. But after driving it to town a couple of times, some of the air bubbled out and it took a bit more. Hang on to that last partial gallon of distilled water for later additions.

Finally, that job is done. And it should now be good for at least 50,000 more miles with no coolant maintenance.

By using all 4 gallons of antifreeze, my concentration is about 57 percent antifreeze. That’s good enough for some very cold country.

Options I didn’t use.

If you remove both block plugs as well as draining the radiator, the tap water flush should not require as many cycles to get all the color out of the system. But that is a PITA, so I didn’t even think about it.

If you replace gold coolant with gold coolant, you would do it the same exact way - except your drain water will have a gold or tan/brown tint instead of a green tint.

If you replace green coolant with green coolant, you would also do it the same way, except at the very end you would add 3 pints of supplemental coolant additive (SCA) right after you poured in the antifreeze - before you topped off with distilled water.

If you want the 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water most experts recommend, then pour in only 3.5 gallons of antifreeze instead of all 4 gallons. Then fill the half-empty gallon jug of a left-over antifreeze with distilled water, and mark the jug "50/50". Then you’ll have topping-off mixture for future use.

There's the part of the instructions about SCA's that I used when I did my coolant flush.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
did you test it yet? Every answer I get is different. I am at 2 bottles added now and by the time I get home tonght it should be mixed sufficiently for me to test in the morning. I'll post here what my numbers are and the math results for units to add.

wanderer

Reaction score
I saved myself a lot of trouble and bought the Caterpillar pre-mixed stuff. It comes already charged with SCA. Pretty simple.:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14