Scan tool recommendation

Discussion in '6.7L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by mjn798, Apr 18, 2019.

1. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

I just noticed you mentioned the boost pipes. Make sure they're all connected. Possibly one of them slipped off. I'm pretty sure these trucks have a MAF sensor. If it's not detecting air flow the engine won't run.

2. mjn798

mjn798 SDD Junior Member

Thanks. Visual inspection of the engine compartment and undercarriage is all clear. Nothing out of place, loose or disconnected.

3. Gr82baGator

Gr82baGator SDD Junior Member

This sounds a lot like what happened to me. It was my fuel system. The pickup in the fuel tank breaks/tips over, and it has to be replaced. Check to see if your fuel pump is working, etc.

4. carjunk2018

carjunk2018 SDD Junior Member

I agree with the ELM 327 and Torque software

5. MR BIG TONY

MR BIG TONY SDD Junior Member

I've got a 2006 I don't know much about the new 6.7 as it is a radical new design with exhaust on the valley sides of the heads and intakes on the out side, just the reverse of a 6.0.
    I had my 6.0 do the same thing and the dummy plug in the right head first then the left head next and the High Pressure Oil Pump looses all pressure which runs the high pressure fuel pump. I don't know if the 6.7 has the same set up or not. You replaced all the injectors? Wow eight times over $300.00 each is over $3,000 with labor.
    So no EGR or DEP? First I am not as smart as Ford engineers, and I'm in California and smog inspections every two years. I've got a Bluedriver which reads codes but is not a tuner, as tuning stuff dicks it up.
    I'm up in Grass Valley 65 miles NW of Sacramento in the Sierra Nevada foothills at 3000 ft elevation and the Ford dealer up here moved down the hill and the Head Mechanic there the owner does all my stuff for me.
    My advice, Ford can reflash your cpu and re set codes and find out WTF is wrong.
    Sounds like you got a truck that has been jury rigged, whoever that pulled off / deleted EGR messed with the computer. Hope you bought the truck really cheap.

6. MR BIG TONY

7. MR BIG TONY

Take the truck to ford and let them flash it and tell you what the problem is.
    With no egr ford may not even fool with it EPA / federal law requirements.
    The guy you bought it from was a backyard mechanic and dorked it up.
    I've got 90,200 on my 06 King Ranch and Ford has replaced 2 alternators, turbo, High speed fan, FICM, EGR and Oil Cooler twice and cooling system flush twice, new block head studs, dummy plugs in both heads under 70,000 mile diesel warranty.
    The truck now has 90,200 miles and I bought it new. It has been a no problem truck since then and ther is no way in hell I would put a tuner on it. If it rus great dont dork with it.

8. bcvickers

bcvickers SDD Junior Member

Are you nuts? Just because a truck has been tuned and deleted doesn't mean that "some backyard mechanic dorked it up"! Yes, tuned and deleted trucks can have issues (but so can completely stock trucks) and OP's should have come with the tuner so he could reset it to stock for troubleshooting; at least you got that part of your reply correct. I mean look at all the stuff Ford has had to do to "fix" your 6.0h, some of it multiple times. Just because it comes from the factory a certain way doesn't mean it's always the "best" way. I think you've proven that case for us.

mjn798 likes this.
  9. rick2752

rick2752 SDD Junior Member

I have an edge CTS monitor. I would recommend it as a scan tool. I realize you don’t have any codes but with it you can plug into obd2 port and monitor tons of stuff like fuel pressure, sensors and 20 other things. You can also use it to force manual regen but if your deleted that doesn’t matter.

bcvickers likes this.
  10. SoTexRancher

SoTexRancher SDD Junior Member

I use the Scan Gauge II pre-programed by Bullet Proof Diesel for $169.00 They ship within 24 hours and you get it in a couple of days. You can also buy it from various auto parts stores but, it is not programed. Last year it saved me almost $3000.00 on repairs when I could not start my Powerstroke. Works on all versions 6.0, 6.4, 6.7, and I think 7.3. There are a lot of YouTube videos but, if you buy from BPD it is just Plug n' Play. You can do alot more with this unit than read codes. Check it out. Good luck.

mjn798 likes this.